Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Christmas present for Wonder Nanny

(18 Posts)
bunnymother Wed 01-Dec-10 11:53:29

Wondering if anyone can advise how much I should spend on a Christmas present (which is in addition to the Christmas bonus of 1 week's pay, despite only joining us a month ago) for our Wonder Nanny (she is brilliant)?

I was thinking of just getting her a token gift that cost £10, as she has a nice wad of money coming her way, but then don't want to be stingy w her and we do really REALLY appreciate how fantastic she is. So now am erring toward getting her a cashmere scarf for £35. Thoughts??

jendifa Wed 01-Dec-10 13:01:25

The first Christmas I was with a family, the mum bought me some posh chocolates from Selfridges and smellies from lush?

Would she like something like that?

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 01-Dec-10 13:14:03

ive said before that most nannies really appreciate a cash bonus (tho not everyone admits it lol) rather than have expensive pressies - esp if you dont know her that well and her likes/dislikes

tbh i would prob give her a bottle of wine or thorntons chocs as you have already spent a lot as a weeks wages as a onus

i love getting things from children and have had some lovely pressies that are their idea - duck radio/spider catcher/hamster car etc or maybe a nice pic of them as well

tho some on here will say they dont want/like pics of their dc but i have mine on place of pride on bookcase

glad all is working out with new nanny

bunnymother Wed 01-Dec-10 14:23:11

Hmm maybe chocolates would be better as she may not like scarf. Wonder Nanny is fab - couldn't be happier. Thanks!

Strix Wed 01-Dec-10 15:18:59

ah... the honey moon period... how sweet.

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 01-Dec-10 15:41:02

So cynical strix wink

It's lovely to read on mn that a mb loves and appreciates her nanny smile

MrsWobble Wed 01-Dec-10 15:45:09

To add to Strix' voice of experience. I suggest you are careful how you describe the bonus. Giving one week's pay as bonus for two months work might mean that she expects to get six week's pay next Christmas for a full year's work. You don't want to risk the relationship then by disappointing her.

I'm not saying don't be generous now - it's good to hear of employer/nanny relationships that work - but just think about how you present it.

bunnymother Wed 01-Dec-10 19:57:56

Strix - she has worked w us P/T for a year, so the honeymoon is over. We have always loved working w her, so jumped at chance to work w her F/T.

MrsWobble - I take your point. I will explain it when we give it to her. We didn't want to pro rata as 1) its mean; and 2) in other employment situations you either qualify for a full bonus or nothing, depending on dates of employment. But, agree, presentation is important re expectations.

fridayschild Wed 01-Dec-10 21:16:30

My nanny gets cash and a little something chosen by the DCs. Depends on the children's age of course, and the trick is to be careful where you are before suggesting this would be a good place to look for Nanny's present. One year we got our own wonder nanny a ball of string....

magicOC Wed 01-Dec-10 21:53:36

Maybe it's just me, but, you know the t-towels the kids make at nursery?

I love themsmile

Maybe OP children aren't old enough tho.

Current job bought me Tigger umbrella and slippers for my 1st christmas (along with the cash bonus). Had only been there a few months, but, she realise from my car key ring that I was a fan of tigger. grin

Strix Thu 02-Dec-10 10:20:26

I was only joking and did not mean it as a serious word of caution. I'm sure she's lovely, and will enjoy her bonus.

bunnymother Thu 02-Dec-10 14:40:09

Oops, OK, sorry Strix - I took it as you being cynical and reacted a little sharply.

Strix Thu 02-Dec-10 15:26:04

No worries. I probably wasn't clear that I was joking.

cinpin Thu 02-Dec-10 17:55:47

I got a lovely xmas bonus one year from my employer. It was an ironing board cover it was so exciting opening it on xmas day.

JustKeepSparkling Thu 02-Dec-10 18:06:00

We love our Nanny too

She had only just registered with the agency my DH rang up the day before, we are her first job, DS2 has SN, and she is now his 1-to-1 at pre-sch with him.

We totally landed on our feet and i was so nervous having read some scare stories on here!

Last year i think we gave her some silly socks (she always wears silly socks) and a voucher for a clothes shop - memory shot and can't remember where for, possibly H&M?

Thinking this year, will get DS1 to choose some more silly socks (some of hers have had holes recently, we've both been moaning about socks falling apart) and another clothes voucher.

She's only 20 and i think her fave thing about having money is buying herself more expensive clothes than the real cheapies.

Anyone know what shops 20 year olds like? New Look i know she uses but that might just be because it's cheap?
Keep meaning to see if Joe Browns do vouchers, i know she likes them.

cinpin Thu 02-Dec-10 18:47:43

Why not get her a debenhams voucher as they have top shop and jane norman

nanny7 Fri 03-Dec-10 21:26:43

cinpin!!! what a thoughtful gift you were given!!! glad you have better ideas of recommending a lovely present..hope you don't get an iron this year!!

Blondeshavemorefun Sat 04-Dec-10 11:32:12

ironing board??

omg shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now