Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Starting a new business and need childcare - which one?

(9 Posts)
niknak3 Tue 30-Nov-10 16:46:11

I'm starting a new business and need to set up some child care three days a week. But i'm not sure which direction to go in ! I can prob muddle things through with nanny-share and mum stepping in but feels bit ad hoc and wondering whether to bite the bullet and just go for some kind of nanny! But have never gone down that route before. Have a 7 and 3 year old - any thoughts gratefully recieved on what might work best??

gadget86 Tue 30-Nov-10 17:00:24

It all depends on what you want from your childcare. I have to know what the arrangements are and that they are permenant. So I have a childminder who does fixed hours. I mean if you were to nanny share with mum stepping in, it could save you cash. Only you know what will feel best for you. And as long as both you and the kids are happy thats all that matters

niknak3 Tue 30-Nov-10 17:03:50

thanks gadget86. Its tricky to know what best as I think the kids would really love nanny share as they love the nanny and the kids, but its only for one afternoon a week. Being ad hoc could save me money and allow me to be bit flexible but then be ext useful to have someone just there for our needs.. thanks for your thoughts

nannynick Tue 30-Nov-10 18:01:03

Are you already in a nanny share - if so why not make the days permanent rather than ad-hoc, then you can plan work for those days.

niknak3 Tue 30-Nov-10 20:23:25

Not in one yet - but have arranged for one to start asap but just for one afternoon which is all she can do, then mum filling in gaps. Im just not sure whether I should stop trying to squeeze everything in and just get someone bit more dediticated to our needs.
Finding work and life balance tricky at mo! Running from place to place!

chitchatinsantasear Tue 30-Nov-10 20:38:49

Nanny shares can be good, but are also tricky. There is very little flexibility for you unless the other family is super understanding. A 'shared' nanny could be a solution, if you are sure what days you want a nanny - ie they work for someone 3 or 2 days and for you 2 or 3 days, so you only pay for the days you use, but the nanny gets to work 5 days IYSWIM.

A nanny just for you has the chance to take your DC to activities, etc. The 3 year old can go to play groups regardless of the routine of the other children. The 7 year old can go to after school activities with only the 3 year old to take into consideration (or your mum could step in for those hours, then both DC win!!!)

niknak3 Tue 30-Nov-10 21:40:25

i think this could be good idea.. keep hearing gum tree is good place to put advert out. And local notice boards..think nanny agencies v expensive. Can anyone suggest any other good places?

nannynick Tue 30-Nov-10 21:57:11

nannyjob.co.uk
childcare.co.uk

chitchatinsantasear Tue 30-Nov-10 22:07:03

Mention on here where you are..... grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now