Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childminder child ill and I have to pay?

(21 Posts)
gadget86 Tue 30-Nov-10 16:31:47

My childminders son was sick (vomitting) and she text me saying she was able to work. But was she? I cant take my daughter when she has vomitted in the previous 24hrs, why does it change with her son, surely she shouldnt be able to work? I kept my daughter off because i didnt want her to get it if it was a vomitting bug, now she wants me to pay her for the day.

Any ideas on what I should do?

Thanks

scurryfunge Tue 30-Nov-10 16:33:39

What terms and conditions have you agreed to in the contract?

gadget86 Tue 30-Nov-10 16:35:38

It says if she cant work I dont pay. But she said she could work. Which is odd as I cant take my child when she has Vomitted in the previous 24hrs, what is the difference if it is her child?

TrailMix Tue 30-Nov-10 16:37:10

Point that out to her. See what she says.

gadget86 Tue 30-Nov-10 16:43:02

I will certainly point it out thanks.

greentig3r Tue 30-Nov-10 16:43:49

If she's a registered CM doesn't she have to have an infection control policy that would apply to adults and children in the setting? I would have kept my child off too, and I wouldn't be happy to pay. Is it possible she put him to granny's or something and just didn't make that clear or was he definitely there?

gadget86 Tue 30-Nov-10 16:45:38

He was definately there. I'll have to find the paperwork to see if she has an infection control policy. Thanks!
I am pretty annoyed she wants me o pay as i took the day off work and I dont get paid for being off either.

scurryfunge Tue 30-Nov-10 16:45:43

Ask her if she is still prepared to look after your child when she comes down with this sickness. If the answer is "no" then I think she is taking the pee.

fel1x Tue 30-Nov-10 16:49:19

I'd ask her to clear up the 'misunderstanding' about whether she was able to work and look afetr children who had been sick and were infectious?
She cant have it both ways. If she wont take your children when they are sick then she cant ask you to pay when she cant work due to her child being sick.

Unless her son was sick due to something else without a doubt - such as an allergic reaction or car sickness etc. Then she could reasonably look after him and expect you to send your childrenn as usual

gadget86 Tue 30-Nov-10 16:49:30

I wouldnt mind talking to her about it so much but we had a big disagreement in the summer becaue she took the mick. I paid her even though she didnt work when she was grieving for a relative, and then tried to charge me extra for ice cream and activity entrance fees. The total she took off cost me £140 and she was asking for an extra £20 then said I was being unreasonable when I said I wouldnt pay a further £20 when I gave her £140 unearned.
So I want to go into this knowing whether or not I am in the right.

ArfurSleep Tue 30-Nov-10 17:07:36

going on your last post I feel that the relationship has broken down and that you would be better off going elsewhere

looneytune Tue 30-Nov-10 17:53:24

I'm a childminder and would go elsewhere. If you decide to stay definitely point it out. She'd be in trouble if the local health authority found out she worked with a sick child. The recommendation for sick bugs is 48 hours exclusion from the last episode. God, I HATE my kids getting ill as I can't afford to close but I have a duty to close with certain illnesses and it's my tough luck! She's well and truly taking the mick!!! angry

looneytune Tue 30-Nov-10 17:58:50

Here, shove THIS in her face!!!! angry

WanderingInAWinterWonderland Tue 30-Nov-10 18:09:03

Agree that she's taking the Mick! She should NOT take other children when her son (or any other family member of hers for that matter) is ill in her house! If her son had gone elsewhere for the day then fair enough but he hadn't. Also, why should you send your child to her when she will be caring for her sick son and not giving your DC the care and attention that they need? angry on your behalf!

gadget86 Tue 30-Nov-10 18:24:46

thanks looneytune, I will be printing that and asking for my money back! I will talk to her at my next oppourtunity. this is the last straw for me, I will be putting my daughter elsewhere.Thanks for all your replies you have been really helpful!

Tanith Tue 30-Nov-10 18:29:59

I usually give parents the choice whether or not to send their children if one of mine is unwell.
My reasoning being
1, Parents find it difficult to take the time off
2, My kids usually caught whatever it was from a mindee in the first place!
3, They've already been well and truly exposed to whatever it is.
I see it as a favour to parents and, if they choose not to send their child, I don't charge. I also make it clear that, should their own child then become ill, I may not be able to take them.

HOWEVER:

Sickness and diarrhoea, or similar horrid lurgies would see me closing without question. Same if my child needed extra care from me (I work with my DH so easier to manage otherwise).

It depends on what's in your contract, OP. If my child were vomiting, though, I would be closing and not charging you.

gadget86 Tue 30-Nov-10 18:35:39

i see your point tanith and I dont get the luxury of sickpay either, so i know how hard it is when it costs you money to close, but her child had vomitted the previous evening and according to looneytune's link it is reccommended a child stay out of a childcare facility for 48 hrs after an episode of vommiting, so surely she shouldnt have charged me for that day?

taintedsnow Tue 30-Nov-10 18:38:17

Tanith has it bang on right.

Gadget, you should not be paying and she not have said she was able to work, because she wasn't really, was she? She probably chose her words very carefully to make sure you paid her.

Unfortunately, I too believe this might be the final straw for you with this CM.

Tanith Tue 30-Nov-10 19:17:21

gadget86, what your childminder charges you for depends on what's written in the contract. If I were your childminder, I wouldn't be charging you, but she might do things differently.

I think you're on strong negotiating ground with LT's link. I think most childminders would have closed in these circumstances.

minderjinx Tue 30-Nov-10 19:24:57

She definitely should not have been open if her son had a bug - but she would know that. If it was something else as felix suggested then she probably should have made that clearer, but for what it's worth both my son and myself are sometimes sicky with migraines. I wouldn't be able to work myself with one but can see no reason to close if he were ill with one as he'd probably be in bed all day anyway.

looneytune Tue 30-Nov-10 19:45:39

Tanith. I know what you mean and I:

1) Charge if my children are poorly with just a cold and the parent decides not to bring

2) If they have something worse which I wouldn't accept their children with, I offer them the choice. If they choose not to come I don't charge. If they choose to come they know that if their child gets it, I will have to exclude and they still pay as I'd be open (unless my child still ill with it)

3) D & V - my local health authority make it very clear we have a duty to close and therefore 'I am working still' is not an option if poorly person is around the mindees.

I suspect this childminder has something in her policies which states you are charged if you choose not to send your child HOWEVER she's made it clear to her that she's not allowed to send her child with D & V ands it can't be one rule for one and another for her. Sounds like she's really more in it for the money and doesn't give a monkies about what's right and wrong (and this comes from someone who is the sole earner as dh was made redundant over a year ago and we've had no end of problems with things breaking - we cannot afford for me to close but....!!!)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: