Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

can parents access their gov. funding for over 3's within childminding setting?

(10 Posts)
mumummumum Tue 30-Nov-10 01:13:12

Hi, i am new to childminding and have had a parent enquire about their child's free nursery place. Does anyone know if it is possible to arrange this funding with me rather than at nursery?

Simbacatlives Tue 30-Nov-10 01:26:35

You need a l3 qualification. You can then apply to the la- usually through a limited place network. You may need to complete a qa scheme or similar.

The rate they pay may be less than your hourly rate and you can't charge extra. Call your families information centre as it varies wildly across the country.

pinkdelight Tue 30-Nov-10 08:57:58

I do this with my CM - it's a godsend. The funding is less than her rates and only covers term times, but I make up the difference.

dmo Tue 30-Nov-10 09:46:30

you need to have a nvq3 and be on a network

i can take them and some of the parents i have use them or we share between myself and a pre-school

pippin26 Tue 30-Nov-10 14:24:15

Not 'any' childminder can do it - you have to meet certain criteria - first and foremost be on a network - a CCF network.

Danthe4th Tue 30-Nov-10 16:00:22

As you are new to childminding it could take you over a year to be able to offer it and jump through all the necessary hoops!!

mumummumum Tue 30-Nov-10 21:13:34

Thank you to all who kindly responded. I have an SVQ3 Early years childcare and education qualification. Not sure what a CCF network is, looks like something to do with training? Must be different in Scotland? I have completed the SCMA induction training. Sounds like it might be possible though, would i just contact my local council office? I would have the child full time so the parents would make up the difference to meet my rates. But it would still be much less than full time fees for them, which is what i would have to charge if i was dropping her off and picking her up from nursery. Any advice very much appreciated.

KatyMac Tue 30-Nov-10 21:24:22

If you were in England you couldn't do the 'meet your rates'

So if a 10 hr day costs £40 & they pay £3.75 an hour for EYE funding you can charge 7 hrs @£4 & 3 hrs at £3.75 so you lose £0.75 a day

mumummumum Tue 30-Nov-10 23:20:05

Could i not just work it so that i was still getting the £40 a day, the parents would make up the rest, but it would benefit them because it would cost them 3x£3.75 (£11.75) a day less. I was going to say that i would not be bothered if the difference was only £0.75 a day but that is about £15 a month.

KatyMac Wed 01-Dec-10 07:08:48

In England, no

In Scotland, I don't know

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: