Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Is this possible?

(8 Posts)
scoutliam Mon 29-Nov-10 16:10:29

Just kinda thinking out loud really so feel free to give a virtual slap around the face!

Is there any world where it'd be possible to have childcare for two children, say 3yr and 6mths, for two days a week, at say 165pw?. And still live in nw london? or will I just slap myself and forget about having another dc?

nannynick Mon 29-Nov-10 17:35:32

Nursery or Childminder but I suspect both may be more than the budget.

nannynick Mon 29-Nov-10 17:41:46

How much are childminders in your area? Try searching here and seeing if any give a cost. Change the address, so that it searches on your postcode.

I would guess that Childminders are £5-£6 per hour, per child in NW London. In NW7 1A there are childminders charging £4.60 to £6 per hour.

You may well be looking at 20 hours of childcare for each child. So £200 upwards.

Also look at nursery fees - as 3 year olds get a little discount due to Government funding.

OverflowingMum Mon 29-Nov-10 17:50:29

I think that with government funding for 3 yr old it would make a big difference, as from term after their third bday they are entitled to up to 15 hours nursery funded by government. (term time only)
It's all quite complicated how it is worked out though, and varies from nursery to nursery, plus due to recent changes and the way in which the government reimburses nurseries many nurseries are withdrawing from the scheme all together, especially those where their usual charge for hourly rate is higher, like in London.
Probably best to contact possible local nurseries though and ask them how they manage funding and then work out some costs with that in mind.

OverflowingMum Mon 29-Nov-10 17:51:37

Must add, makes me glad I live "Up North" LOL

Emjxxx Mon 29-Nov-10 17:55:34

How much!! If i lived in near NW London I would look after them for 2 days a week for £165pw! Sorry not much help. Agree you would be best going the nursery route, they are normally cheaper than the childminders as nursery can split the cost over more children and there is less likely hood of not having any childcare, if say for instance, the childminder was sick, had to go to a funeral etc etc.

leeloo1 Mon 29-Nov-10 19:45:50

If you could get them into an (oversubscribed) surestart nursery then they're £35 pd near me (with around 18 mth waiting list). I also know of 1 other childminder who only charges £35 pd shock most CMs are £55-£70 and nurseries around £60.

Depends where in North London though - some places are dearer than others...

Pinner35 Tue 30-Nov-10 14:30:35

Scoutliam....I'm a CM in NW London (guess where!) and I would certainly be able to accommodate you so I don't think its impossible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now