Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Moving from Singapore to London

(5 Posts)
ozhodge Sun 28-Nov-10 13:10:57

We've been living in Singapore for 7 years and have been asked to move to London early next year. We have not lived there before. We have a maid here in Singapore and wondered what is the cost for them in London? We know we can take her but wanted to know how much her salary etc will be. The same arrangements as we have here, live in, all food and board all inclusive etc. It's less about looking after the kids and more the fact that we want to be able to explore Europe on the weekends/holidays but have 2 dogs and 1 cat that would need to get looked after.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

ThatScrotumCat Sun 28-Nov-10 13:28:04

The housekeeper where I nannied earned £400/week for 40 hours work live-out (£10/hour) ... I imagine it`s a bit less for live-in though.

frakkinup Sun 28-Nov-10 14:41:57

It depends what duties, working hours and benefits etc would be. Would you pay for a flight home once a year, for example?

It seems you'd be expecting her to house-sit (therefore work) some weekends which may push the cost up as weekend working isn't the norm.

It also depends what she's happy with and what a rough equivalent to what she gets at the moment would be.

angel1976 Sun 28-Nov-10 20:57:17

I knew a friend who moved from Singapore to London and he took his maid with him. From what I remembered, he had to pay her minimum wage etc and follow the labour law here and her salary was about £600 a month. Considering most maids in Singapore are getting about £150 a month, she did very well out of their 2-year stint here.

ozhodge Mon 29-Nov-10 12:29:13

Angel,
Thanks for the information. You are right about the current Singapore rate so it is a jump for them. I am happy to pay the minimum wage so if 600 per month is that minimum than that is only fair. I guess i should search out on the current minimum wage and go from there. Thanks for your help

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now