Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Am I over reacting???

(4 Posts)
nancy10 Fri 26-Nov-10 09:03:17

I look after a little boy aged 2, 3 times a week and on the other 2 days he goes to nursery. When I had him on Wednesday he looked perfectly ok and played quite happily. At lunch time he ate the ham from his sandwich but left the bread and didn't want to eat anything else. This is really unusual as I've never known him to turn away food. About 2 hours before his mum was due to collect him he had a bout of diarrohea, which was bad and I had to put him in the bath. (I am friends with his mum and have written permission.) Anyway he was the only child I was looking after that day so I laid him on the sofa, he fell asleep and I explained what had happened when his mum came. Yesterday evening I sent her a text asking how he was and she replied he had had diarrohea and she'd had the day off work (would normally have been a nursery day) and she was unsure what to do about tomorrow (today) I text back saying that I really did not want him to come in. Although I haven't got any children to look after, my 3 dc are off school due to a staff development day and I don't want them catching it. Also my dh comes home at lunchtime and of course theres me (pregnant too!) She didn't ring or reply and hasn't turned up this morning. So I wondering if she is pissed off. But I doubt the Nursery would have allowed him to go and even if he is well today it was only yesterday he had the diarrohea? Am I right in refusing to care for him??

SofiaAmes Fri 26-Nov-10 09:09:42

Yes. You are not being unreasonable. Especially if you are pregnant and have 3 kids of your own.
However, maybe I am old fashioned, but maybe in a phone call you would have been better able to convey your concern about his health and yours at the same time as expressing regret that you are not comfortable having him. It's hard to get all of that across in a text. But I'm sure it will be fine and when he is better, she will bring him in.

ArfurSleep Fri 26-Nov-10 09:50:29

exclude for 48 hours from the last episode of D

hpa guidance here

invoke your sickness policy, issue a copy to all parents to remind them

thebody Fri 26-Nov-10 10:06:29

of course you were right to not take him. YUou have to exclude for 48 hours from last episode as Arfur says.. cm is no different to a nursery or a school that way.. ring her up and tell her so... she has no right to be 'pissed off with you'..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now