Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

recruiting a nanny....top tips???

(32 Posts)
OverflowingMum Thu 25-Nov-10 16:54:02

Hi all...
so as you may know if you have read my many other thread, I am having a bit of a childcre nightmare!
I have recently gone back to work after 5 years as a SAHM. I have gone back 60%, but have my hours spread over 4 days. I have 6 kids aged 12,11,8,6,4 and 2 1/2.
Life is incredibly stressful right now. I am finding coping very hard. It breaks my heart to think ds is so unhappy....
I have looked into childminders, but with no success.
We are at the point now of considering a nanny, although it would work out at about 2X what we currently pay for childcare a month shockI just feel that the advantages would be huge, (if we found the right person) and would be worth having a couple of years where most my salary went on childcare if it kept my sanity and meant I could carry on with my job/career.
We have had a nanny about 10 yrs ago when ds1 and dd1 were little....but things have changed since then!
So....I want to find one myself, rather than go through an agency. I am prepared to advertise/interview/check references etc...
So...where is the best place to advertise....I am thinking netmums, and have begun looking round childcare.co.uk....where else should I try?
any other key points to consider????
I will be negotiatinhg a gross wage, and have an ideas of what experience/qualifications/characteristics I'm looking for...I will most likey be using a payroll company (used nannytax in the past, but think there are others these days...)
what else do I need to think about ??

any tips welcome! grin

nannynick Thu 25-Nov-10 17:37:50

test

nannynick Thu 25-Nov-10 17:40:23

nannyjob.co.uk is the other website to advertise on.

jendifa Thu 25-Nov-10 17:41:08

gumtree, The Lady, nannyjob.co.uk

nannynick Thu 25-Nov-10 17:42:09

I'm getting posting errors - anyone else?

nannynick Thu 25-Nov-10 17:46:27

Great to hear you will be offering a Gross Wage.

In your advert, I feel that if you say you have 6 children it may put people off. So in advert talk about the care you specifically need, so which children would be cared for at home during the day, which children before/after school. That way you don't start off by saying you have 6 children but instead let the candidate read about what it is you are wanting and to add up the number of children themselves.

For a live-out nanny, consider what you feel is a reasonable commute distance/time. If it's more than 30 mins, then I feel that's pushing someone's luck - would they be on time every day.

nannynick Thu 25-Nov-10 17:47:54

Shop around with regard to payroll companies, nannytax are the most expensive.
You probably only need basic payroll so look at those charging around 100-150 who will produce you monthly payslips, P60 etc.

OverflowingMum Thu 25-Nov-10 19:40:42

Thanks nannynick and jendifa.
I did worry about saying I had 6 DC, as admittedly it does sound very scarey!shock
But when you consider what I will need the nanny to do it isnt too bad, as the majority of the time she will only have ds2 to care for...and there will be limited times when they are all here together!I will definitely phrase it as you suggested with the specifics of what care I need for which dc when...

Just another quick question...I will require her to do some child related/light household tasks. Not loads, but mostly general tidy of younger ones bedrooms, quick tidy round downstairs at end of day (just dc mess) and washing of dc uniform and seeing they have clean uniforms ready for next day. Also I would need her to prepare evning meal for dc...( I would suggest something which could be prepared during the day then just popped in oven after school pick up as it is easier that way!) Does that sound reasonable? I wouldnt expect any general cleaning or ironing etc..but would need some help in keeping things slightly tidy/organised!

rubyslippers Thu 25-Nov-10 19:43:35

WRT to your last post light housework etc related to the kids is fine

I put in my nanny's contract what she would have to do - she tidies the kids rooms, prepares their meals and cleans up after any activities they do

surrealreality Thu 25-Nov-10 21:54:14

Six kids os not necessarily offputting.
I LOVE working for larger families. There are plenty of nannies who enjoy the stimulation and being busy, busy, busy.
Any child related tasks fall under the title of nursery duties which also includes keeping areas the kids use clean and tidy.
The right nanny is a Godsend. A bad one - well you've read the posts on here and no doubt heard a horror story or two from friends.
Good luck hunting

OverflowingMum Fri 26-Nov-10 11:09:32

thanks rubyslippers and surrealreality

I have actually experienced both types of nany previoulsy(was about 10 years ago though!)
. Our first one was brilliant. A real and true godsend indeed. Then our second one was a nightmare. Useless, incompetent, lazy , deceitful etc...and it all ended very badly.
Here's hoping we get another of the first kind this time round....

Another quick question. Can I use childcare vouchers from employer to pay nanny? Is this up to her personal choice? who does she need to be registered with to do this ? Is it ofsted, and if so how does a nanny go about getting registered - is it complicated?

TIA

nannynick Fri 26-Nov-10 11:15:44

Up to the nanny if they will accept vouchers. In England they need to be registered with Ofsted. Ofsted may do a inspection at your home at some point - though it's to inspect the nanny not your home.
Nanny will need a qualification which Ofsted recognise, First aid training, insurance, plus pay an annual fee.

nbee84 Fri 26-Nov-10 11:56:59

It is up to the nanny if they accept vouchers, though that may limit their job choices as I'm noticing these days that many job ads stipulate nanny to be/become Ofsted registered. So if you do want to use vouchers, it's worth looking in to.

OverflowingMum Fri 26-Nov-10 12:37:43

thanks both - you're all a great source of information!

and yes... I have another question LOL What is a typical arrangement for holidays? How many weeks? all at full pay or some at half pay? what are my chances of finding a nanny willing to do a term time contract (ie to have school hols off but unpaid? as dh is a teacher so we only really need term time school care))
I know obvioulsy it is down whatever we negotiate with the nanny and put in her contract but wondered what others experiences were....
TIA grin

nbee84 Fri 26-Nov-10 13:45:23

Holiday entitlement is 5.6 weeks per year (though there is an extra bank hol next year for the royal wedding) these need to be paid.

It is possible to find a term-time only nanny - I am one grin The holiday entitlement is pro rata'd down as you are only working 39 weeks per year. I think it worked out at just under 5 weeks per year - though I negotiated 6 weeks in my contract (due to my age, experience and willingness to do a TT only contract). So I am paid for 45 weeks of the year. I am paid like a teacher - so annual salary divided by 12 so that I do not have periods where I have no income.

nbee84 Fri 26-Nov-10 13:51:08

Also, I cannot take my holiday during term time - unless for an emergency or for something important. It hasn't happened yet, but if I did I would work the extra day in the holidays to balance it up and Mum would use the time to get some prep done or just to have some time to herself. If this is what you want you need to make it clear from the start as some nannies do not like to be limited to only going on holiday in the school holidays - lots of kids around and more expensive. My youngest child is now 16 and dh and I had been looking forward to holidays on our own at budget prices - then I started working for a teacher in September!

OverflowingMum Fri 26-Nov-10 17:06:04

nbee thanks for that. When you say holiday entitelment is 5.6 weeks a year who stipulates that?
We will definitely need someone who can take hols within school holidays, and will obviously make that clear when recruiting...if we could also find someone willing to work term time contract only that would be an advantage, but not essential...

nbee84 Fri 26-Nov-10 17:10:12

The government state that 5.6 weeks is the minimum paid entitlement employees should get. That's for a 5 day a week worker, so pro rata for a 3 or 4 day a weeks job.

nbee84 Fri 26-Nov-10 17:12:46

Info here

OverflowingMum Fri 26-Nov-10 18:47:32

thanks nbee so I need to work out pro-rata for 3 day week...then see if I could find anyone who would be willing to work term time only (39 weeks) but then add on holiday entitlement and so pay for 39weeks+holiday...
think I've got that right LOL
Also am I right in thinking that 5.6 weeks can include bank hols? so if nanny has every bank holiday off then that would reduce her holidays accordingly? or have I got that wrong?

I'm sure I used to know all this LOL but need to be absolutely clear before I advertise/start recruiting etc...

nbee84 Fri 26-Nov-10 19:09:16

5.6 weeks is including bank holidays. 3 days a week is 16.8 days. You can round up but not down. Depending on which 3 days she works, not all of them will fall on working days, eg Xmas, Boxing and New years day change from year to year - Xmas and New Year being a Saturday this year means that the Monday following them is a bank holiday.

If you are employing for the full year then take off any bank holidays, work out how many days are left and, usually, nanny chooses half and you choose half (you can still stipulate no TT holiday) If you are employing TT only then only 1 bank holiday (May day) falls in term time, the rest are during school holidays. (not sure what happens or should be done about the royal wedding bank hol)

nannynick Fri 26-Nov-10 19:18:46

I would suggest being generous with paid holiday for a term time only job, with the condition that holiday can only be taken during school holiday periods. Try to make the job attractive to someone.

OverflowingMum Fri 26-Nov-10 20:17:37

OK, thanks both. I think it is probably unlikely we will find a nanny wanting to work term time, but will consider offering other benefits if we do. TBH I would rather find the right person than whoever we can find to do term time only.
If we dont find term time nanny, we would have to stipulate that holidays need to be in school hols...but wouldnt mind at all really when they were within that....

happychappy Sat 27-Nov-10 04:47:54

I agree with everything said before

If you had a nanny with an older child maybe you might find a nanny that would be happy to work term time mostly but you would probably have to accommodate their child too, that means 7!. Don't know how you would view that one more for the roost ?

Looking at your job, Its sounds a nice interesting varied job. I would apply for it depending on where you were. The sites mentioned here are the places people usually advertise. I think the Lady is expensive though. Gumtrees you'll get lots of applicants and I don't know about nannyjob. You could always loiter around the chat room for nannyjob or post. Lots of people are always looking there. Whether they are any good or in your area I don't know.

OverflowingMum Sun 28-Nov-10 17:29:03

OK...UPDATE....
I found someone on childcare.co.uk who I messaged...and she came round today and she sounds quite good.
She has 5 yrs experience (3 as CM, 2 at nursery) good references( although I am going to ring up people to check...)
seemed nice and relaxed with dc etc...
She is willing to work termtime contract, and agreed to wage we were offfering.
She meets many of the requirements we had. Also she is willing to become ofsted registered and to recieve payment in nursery vouchers.
Dh and I are goint to talk it through obviously, and I am going to check out references...
BUT she is only the first person we have seen. ALthoughI have contacted 3 or 4 others who all turned out not to be suitable for one reason or another...
but just all feels a bit quick...should we go ahead with more advertising and see some others anyway...or if she meets what we need and we like her is that enough???
what do you all think???

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now