Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

pregnant nanny, sick children. advice please!

(8 Posts)
ficam Wed 24-Nov-10 16:51:33

Hello, Im just after some advice and opinions really. I'll probably post this in the pregnancy section too.

Im a nanny to 3 lovely girls and been with them for 5 years now. The family is very good to me and give me lots of time off etc. However I am 3 months pregnant finally after years of trying so obviously protective of it. I have just heard that the children are all ill with temperatures sore throats and colds. I feel a bit worried about going in to such a germy environment. Do you think its safe and Im worrying for nothing,or do you think I shouldnt be expected to look after 3 sick children? They do know Im pregnant.

Thanks

nowwearefour Wed 24-Nov-10 16:54:21

I think that you will be just fine to look after them. We always warned our nanny when the kids were ill when she was pregnant and with this sort of thing she always came along. Generl cold-type bugs are pretty much everywhere and although annoying are not too terrible. I would def avoid chicken pox and measles but if it is just a general winter virus then i would go along.

dribbleface Wed 24-Nov-10 16:57:07

Congratulations,

I can understand your nervous about it but general coughs/colds etc are just par for the course. Chicken pox, measles and slapped cheek you need to aware of and stay away

Lynzie Wed 24-Nov-10 17:17:33

Congratulations!

Im a nanny too, and When I fell pregnant last year, it when swine flu was in the news etc, so i was a bit hesitant, when the kids got colds and the flu, but i never caught anything, and my daughter is as healthy as anything

however if the children have german measles or chicken pox, then i would aviod going into work, have you told your work yet?

ficam Wed 24-Nov-10 17:28:27

thank you, I think thats enough yes's for me to believe! I'll just not get too close with kisses and cuddles! I'm not long over bad morning sickness which I worked throughout and the thought of being ill again fills me with dread!

Thanks for the congratulations and advice

LadyLapsang Wed 24-Nov-10 17:51:52

Did you have your Rubella immune status checked before conceiving?

gizzy1973 Wed 24-Nov-10 19:55:16

get your immunity to chicken pox, rubella checked out at the docs - its a simple blood test

i am a nanny to and never worried about colds and coughs but had same worries last year about swine flu as well but no problems and have a very healthy little boy

Herecomesthesciencebint Wed 24-Nov-10 21:25:49

chicken pox is only an issue if you havent had it yourself in the past. if in doubt you can get it checked via your GP wityh a blood test. Ask also yo have your rubella (german measles), measles and parvo virus (slaped cheek) immunity checked at the same time.

Good chance you are already immune to them.

Coughs and colds. flus all par for the course Im afraid and an occupational hazard you cant avoid! None will do your baby any harm altho I know its rotten to be ill yourself, you could just as easily pick them up in a supermarket queue!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now