Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nannies with fake references

(5 Posts)
Novstar Wed 24-Nov-10 16:44:22

My experience about nannies with fake references...

I found a really lovely 23 year old Spanish language student willing to be a part time nanny for me on Gumtree. She claimed she worked for Cuban woman in London for 2 months and gave me a UK mobile phone number. I called up the reference, who was extremely positive, although both the line and the English were bad. I also asked for a ref from Spain but candidate didn't have one, just said she'd try to get one.

To cut a long story short, mainly through Facebook research (it is incredible what people put on FB), I worked out that this girl had never worked for this woman, in fact the woman didn't even have any kids. She was just a friend. The girl eventually admitted to making it all up because she "knew it would be really hard to get a nanny job in the UK without a UK reference" but claimed that everything else she told me was true.

She would probably have been fine as a nanny, but we didn't give her the job. She is probably now looking again in Gumtree, so say hi to her if she applies for your jobsmile

Funny thing is, I would have been quite happy if she had only given me Spanish references.

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 24-Nov-10 18:44:11

luckily you found out before employing her - if she lies about this, what else does/will she lie about

always check and double check refs etc

happychappy Wed 24-Nov-10 20:19:53

On the other hand I am in Italy and can provide fantastic genuine UK and Italian (in English though) references but cant get a job. Basically because I'm here not there!

drinkyourmilk Wed 24-Nov-10 20:57:31

I have impectable references and contactable referees - but many are abroad (uk expats) and i've found that many agencies will only contact my uk based referees. Madness!!

Novstar Thu 25-Nov-10 09:39:06

I don't know why she thought she couldn't get a job if she didn't have a UK reference. Is that normal practice? My current nanny is from an EU country, and she only had a reference from there, but I go a friend to call the number up with a list of questions, and it worked out fine.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: