Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Env Health visit on tues - eeeeek!

(7 Posts)
Ilovebagsandbruuuce Fri 19-Nov-10 13:38:26

I am a newly registered childminder and am nervously awaiting the visit from the EHO to look at my kitchen and talk me through what I need to do from their point of view.

I dont really know what to expect. Obvioulsy I haven't got a grubby kitchen but are they going to be having a good look in my oven, fridge etc? They're averagely clean I would say but my oven isn't sparkling inside!

Any pearls of wisdom most gratefully received.

looneytune Fri 19-Nov-10 13:45:53

It's quite informal really, well ours were. They wanted to know how I ensure food is the right temperature (food probe), they checked the fridge (mainly interested in seals I think), they didn't look in my oven (mine was NOT sparkling wink), they may ask about chopping boards and how you ensure no contamination

I was nervous too but honestly, there was no need to be

HSMM Fri 19-Nov-10 14:29:07

Mine was very friendly. Looked at cupboard handles and freezer seals. Asked about food temps. Very helpful about anything I wasn't sure about.

MmeGazelle Fri 19-Nov-10 15:14:46

Ohhh, I didn't have anyone come to see my kitchen, but I did do a days Food Hygeine course.

Danthe4th Fri 19-Nov-10 15:46:14

I take it you have got the plastic folder 'safer food better business for childminders' if you have fill it in as I hadn't filled it in and got told to.
My inspector was really nice though and helpful, made a useful suggestion of buying a food probe and even went on amazon and showed me which one he recommended. he also tested my fridge for me as it never shows the correct temp on the thermometer.

Ilovebagsandbruuuce Fri 19-Nov-10 21:48:01

Ooo i feel much better after reading your replies.

Not got that folder, i'm guessing they will bring that with them on Tuesday perhaps? Not had any info about it previously but then this will be my first contact with them other than to make the appointment.

Thanks all

fivesacrowd Sat 20-Nov-10 13:55:52

I had pre registration env health visit on Thurs. Was really nice, just looked round kitchen, checked inside fridge to make sure raw meat at bottom and nothing really horrible lurking at back. Said I need to go on basic food hygiene course and told me where to get info. I've to buy a fridge thermometer and send her basic recipes for soup and cupcakes with a risk assessment for each. Everything else on menu so low risk that no concerns there. I was really nervous but it was fine. TBH think she thought whole inspection of cm thing a waste of her time!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now