Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Best Christmas present for childminder.

(22 Posts)
Grockle Tue 16-Nov-10 21:14:07

I want to get something for our fab childminder. Was thinking something for her and something for mindees. Or should I get DS to make something for her?

If you are a childminder, what has been your best gift?

LynetteScavo Tue 16-Nov-10 21:16:16

How old is your DS? She probalby had enough of his handprints artall over her her walls already.

Get her something for herself, which she can enjoy over Christmas.

Grockle Tue 16-Nov-10 21:24:50

He's 5.

I wondered about a game or crafty stuff for the children (she does loads of fab things with them) and something nice for her - wine? biscuits? candle? Something better..?

Grockle Tue 16-Nov-10 21:25:34

And yes, am sure she is quite fed up with DS's handprints art. grin

Fuchzia Tue 16-Nov-10 21:31:44

Do people do this? Will my CM expect a gift or are you just really nice?

Grockle Tue 16-Nov-10 21:39:17

I don't know if people do this but she's been amazing, DS loves her and I want to get something for her.

LynetteScavo Tue 16-Nov-10 21:50:04

Candles are nice at Christmas. Flowers are nice for birthdays. smile

Chocolates are always nice.

I'm not a childminder, BTW. grin

nannynick Tue 16-Nov-10 21:50:17

M&S vouchers are useful - can then be spent on themselves or the mindees. Same goes for Amazon vouchers.

Grockle Tue 16-Nov-10 21:52:55

I love candles and flowers so was thinking along those lines - I think that's what we'll do. I don't like to give vouchers (don't know why) but amazon is a good idea.

Thanks for the help.

StarExpat Tue 16-Nov-10 21:59:37

I was considering a pamper yourself day for her - voucher to a place she could choose massage or facial...etc. Not sure where to though?

Grockle Tue 16-Nov-10 22:07:49

Ooo, good idea. Might look into that. Except I'd want to go too!

StarExpat Tue 16-Nov-10 22:09:47

Lol me too! Where are you?

Grockle Tue 16-Nov-10 22:12:08

Dorset.

No idea where to look though.

nannynick Tue 16-Nov-10 22:19:54

If you don't want to give a voucher... how about simply asking the childminder what they want... then getting it for them. They may have a list of things they would like to have (such as puppets maybe) which you could get for them.

The problem is the same as teachers get I expect... they get things they don't want. There have been several threads about that in the past. A teacher who likes wine may love a bottle of wine... but may not like it so much when they get 30 bottles.

Be very careful about pamper day vouchers - consider WHEN your childminder actually has any time to go on a pamper day. The terms on the voucher may be such that they are taken on a weekday, for example.

StarExpat Wed 17-Nov-10 08:28:22

I am sure about the time that my cm will have to do the pamper day, so that's not a problem.

This is such a sensitive subject. I'm always blush if someone asks me what they can get for me as a gift.
I grew up with the thought that a gift is a gift and is appreciated regardless of what it is. And to never ask for gifts, do lists...etc. So I would feel uncomfortable asking.
I have heard her mention in conversation (not hint dropping or anything) just saying some things that she's looking for in terms of toys for kids...etc. So I might pick up something like that for her as well.

MJB66 Wed 17-Nov-10 09:44:59

Although a pamper day would be lovley, I wouldnt have the time to do that personally my husband works 6 1/2 days a week and we have two boys who are 12 & 9 not old enough or mature enough yet to be left home alone for any amount of time.

I love elephants so one family brought me an elephant in some shape or form on my birthday and at xmas, never expected tho, it did make me feel appreciated if thats the word?

Coca Wed 17-Nov-10 09:53:32

I'd like one of these!
You pick what sweets, chocolate, letter etc. More thought than a box of chocs

Riddo Wed 17-Nov-10 13:01:27

I'm a CM and I'd love the personalised chocs

MJB66 Wed 17-Nov-10 14:15:16

They look lovley Coca, however chocolate and sweets not for me as I'm type 2 diabetic sad

Notterrysmine Wed 17-Nov-10 19:53:18

Grockle with a name like that you have to be in a specific area of Dorset.

What about something at Moonfleet Manor?

looneytune Thu 18-Nov-10 13:30:10

I'm a CM and never 'expect' anything and am always happy with whatever I've been given.

Most families usually get me something like:

Bottles/cans of Stella (they know I like my stella of an evening)
Chocolates
Bath/Shower/Skincare products (Champneys/Sanctuary etc)
Gift Vouchers

Usually my boys get a gift too.

But also have one family who go mad (it's lovely but I used to feel awkward as no way could spend the same) and get things like:

A posh changing bag from Mamas & Papas (would never spend that much myself but was lovely)
A pamper day with the mum at local posh spa place
Meal out
Massage
Hamper with all sorts of lovely home made goodies, all in lovely jars
A recipe book made by mindee's mum, all handwritten with stuff she knows I love (she cooks for us a lot! grin) and a whole selection of spices.
Can't remember what else.

So you can see how it varies. If you've no idea what to get then I think a voucher is absolutely fine. As I said, I don't 'expect' anything at all and I'm sure no childminder does

minderjinx Thu 18-Nov-10 17:20:44

I don't like chocs - I know that makes me strange! But I get given loads, and though I do appreciate the thought, I still end up giving them away

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: