Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Learning and development toys

(5 Posts)
Sandym3g Sat 13-Nov-10 00:14:14

Hi there.

I'm trying to find a website that sells toys catigorised by the 6 learning and development aims. Or at least gives ideas under these catigorys.

I'm trying to work out what parts we are lacking and strong on by making an inventory. I've had advice to list what area they cover so I can see what we need and then make a wish list of what we want.

Any suggestions or tips?

lukymum Sat 13-Nov-10 04:54:19

Sorry I can't be of any help. Thats a really good idea.

The only thing I could possibly suggest when you have a moment is pop to ELC and have a read on the side of the toys.
actually as I type I've been on their website and they have a section next to the toys stating the different learning skills;
eg; hand to eye co-ordination etc

HSMM Sat 13-Nov-10 08:44:29

I find it hard to categorise - books and come under CLL and when used for puppet shows are creative. Duplo can be PRSN and when used to represent something are KUW. etc

I started trying to categorise toys/obs/activities and it just doesn't work for me.

If you want, you can tell us what you have and we can make suggestions? Otherwise you can fill any gaps while you are at toddler groups, etc.

purepurple Sun 14-Nov-10 17:22:44

I am not sure that toys can be catogorised in this way. It's how the child uses them that defines what they are learning.
For example, a doll's house may be creative play, as a child uses their imagination, or it may come under communication, language and literacy if they are speaking and using their speech to think.
Or problem solving, reasoning and numeracy if they are fitting the furniture into spaces and making arrangements with the furniture.
Or personal, social and emotional if they are sharing and playing alongside others.
Or knowledge and understanding of the world, or physical.

Tanith Sun 14-Nov-10 22:11:09

I'm sure www.2to5.com do this. I'm sure that others must do it, too, but can't think of any off the top of my head.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now