Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Would you babysit a child with c.pox?

(21 Posts)
MmeGazelle Fri 12-Nov-10 12:51:50

Hi, I'm a (semi) regular user sampling out a name-change!

I am a CM and have a regular babysitting gig on the weekend, Mum has just texted to say one of the kids has chicken pox. I have had chicken pox myself but none of my mindees have. I have no idea whether I would carry the pox and give it to my mindees/daughter, contact wouldn't be until the next day for DD, 2 days for mindees. What do you think??

mostlycheese Fri 12-Nov-10 13:13:43

I'm not a medical professional, but I am pretty certain that if you have had it then you can't get it from the mindee and pass it on. I think it would be fine.

looneytune Fri 12-Nov-10 13:19:16

Same here

MmeGazelle Fri 12-Nov-10 13:40:08

Thanks ladies. I've Googled and apparently you catch it from touching things that are infected. Seeing as I'm going to their house I think it's likely to say I'll be touching things that may be infected. Obvioulsy I'll wash thoroughly before touching any of my mindees etc but my main concern really is that all of my mindees (including DD) are 2 or under so it'd be horribly if they were ill, and one of the parents is pregnant and I'd never forgive myself if she/baby became ill.

I suppose I've answered my own question really, but I don't know whether I'm over reacting or not confused

suzikettles Fri 12-Nov-10 13:45:58

As far as I know, the chickenpox virus doesn't last a very long time outside the body - ie it's not as simple as you touching something with the virus and then touching someone with your virus-contaminated hand 1 or 2 days later. I think you have to be in far more immediate contact than that.

looneytune Fri 12-Nov-10 13:51:58

I think you'd be fine. I agree with last poster. Ds2 was a baby when one of my mindees got it and then another. They were all very young at the time and very much all over each other and I couldn't believe ds2 never got it! Still hasn't had it, wish we could get it out of the way now whilst I have mindees who've all had it!

ViviAnn Fri 12-Nov-10 13:55:47

I think you would be fine. But as an extra precaution, drop all your clothes in the wash and have shower when you get home.

Also check if you risk getting shingles (same virus, but affects people who has had the pox) if in contact? I am probably over cautious. But seeing as one mindee has a pregnant mum, might be worth checking.

MmeGazelle Fri 12-Nov-10 13:55:49

Ok I think you have probably convinced me to go, I could do with the money and I enjoy going there because I can watch the X-factor in peace without DP tutting the whole way through! blush

StealthPolarBear Fri 12-Nov-10 13:57:26

ca you also check with the pregnant mum as to whether she's had it? if she has, then definitely no risk at all (not that I think there is anyway)

suzikettles Fri 12-Nov-10 19:03:55

You can get chickenpox from shingles but not shingles from chickenpox.

Shingles is caused by the dormant chickenpox virus (ie the virus that's already in your body from your initial infection of cp however many years ago) flaring up again. Usually if you're run down or whatever.

onimolap Fri 12-Nov-10 19:08:00

Shingles is not infectious.

lancaster Fri 12-Nov-10 19:15:56

If you have already had chickenpox then you will not be able to pass it on to anybody.
ps.
onimolap - shingles is infectious.

onimolap Fri 12-Nov-10 19:16:15

Hit "post" too soon!

Shingles isn't infectious like chicken pox. It's only transmissible via actual contact with the fluid within any blisters.

suzikettles Fri 12-Nov-10 19:17:28

Shingles is infectious but the virus sheds from the blister site which tends to be fairly localised so if you have the blisters on your stomach, say, and have a top covering it, it's pretty unlikely that you'll infect anyone. Not impossible though.

nannynick Fri 12-Nov-10 19:48:21

The child with c.pox may not want someone to babysit them. Children who are ill may only want mum/dad. So in terms of the best interests of the child, should you babysit?

magicOC Fri 12-Nov-10 19:52:52

I had chicken pox aged 7yrs.
Have nannied for over 20yrs and been in contact with chicken pox at least once a year in, and in all that time I have never caught it again or passed it on so I would have thought you would be ok.

Treeesa Fri 12-Nov-10 20:12:35

I agree with nannynick. If you have had chickenpox anyway I'd still stay well away anyway. Most nurses and people working in health care are immunised against it as it is so contagious.

It spreads through viral infection, either from the blisters themselves or from the throats of those who have chickenpox through coughing, kissing, talking etc. It can be spread by touching the blisters, clothing or bed sheets that may have discharge from the blisters.

Both shingles and chicken pox are caused by the same virus (as others have said) known as VZV. The first infection with VZV causes chickenpox. The virus stays in your nerve cells and can be reactivated any time in your life.

MmeGazelle Fri 12-Nov-10 20:50:47

Nannynick - I agree with you, I don't want to be looking after an ill child in case they are really upset about it, but lets face it, the parents wouldn't go either if they thought their child would be distressed (they are just going out for a bit of 'me' time so they'd cancel if they thought they needed to). The illie should be asleep before I get there and didn't wake up the last time I babysat, which is why I'm a little less worried about it tbh.

cinpin Fri 12-Nov-10 21:53:58

I had the same problem , my GP told me that it was safe to sit and I would not be able to pass it on. Most of the children I have looked after with chicken pox have not been really ill with it.

Blondeshavemorefun Sat 13-Nov-10 11:58:03

yes i would happily bs a child with cp, as long as that child was happy to be left when ill

nanny7 Sat 13-Nov-10 13:47:27

I have nannyed for 15 years, had chicken pox as a child and all the children I have looked after have had it and I have never had it again. Agree with Cinpin most of the children have been fine with it just covered in spots. If parents were really concerned they wouldn't be going out!!
As regards to being pregnant and having it, have heard its really dangerous at end of pregnacy.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: