Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Is my toddler happy?

(5 Posts)
Tori27 Tue 09-Nov-10 18:11:55

Sounds like an odd question but DD is 2 1/2 and was potty trained at Easter. Went really well with very few accidents. Occasionally she has a few drips in her knickers but not through to trousers or any puddles. These drips occur very rarely with me.

However - All summer hols she was dry (even on a plane and abroad), half term she was dry but at childminder I get at least one pair of knickers handed to me a day - today I got two pairs. I don't understand it. She is happy to go there in the morning and happy when I pick her up.

So torn what to do. CM knows it doesn't happen at home. Don't know where to go from here and am questioning whether she is happy with CM, then feeling guilty etc.

lollipopmother Tue 09-Nov-10 18:18:43

My DD is dry at home (she's 2) but she rarely goes without having an accident when I take her to the Children's Centre, this isn't because she is unhappy but because she is engrossed in playing and doesn't seem to register that she needs a wee. It is also partly my fault because even though I know she won't come to me, I don't take her to the toilet enough because I am looking after 3 kids and playing with them etc (I am a childminder).

Is it possible that your DD is actually just playing hard and not realising that she needs a wee? CM might be like me and trying to juggle children and isn't paying 100% attention to asking DD if she needs the loo as much as maybe she needs to.

Danthe4th Tue 09-Nov-10 18:31:21

I had a little boy today who is dry at home for mum, I handed her 2 pairs of wet clothes when she picked him up. He is very happy with me but is not as confident to tell me he needs a wee or to run to the toilet as he does at home, he happily goes when I take him, 6/7 times today!! and some days he is better than others, interestingly he goes to nursery as well and he is the same there.
I know that I prefer using my loo at home I presume its the same for newly potty trained children.

looneytune Tue 09-Nov-10 19:50:48

Very common, had that here too. The latest one did this once the novelty wore off and I'm sure it's because sometimes she was too involved in play to notice but mainly it was down to not wanting to leave the toys to go to the toilet in case someone took them whilst she was gone. I now say that if she tells me she wants to go then I'm happy to save the toys for her. The only problem I have is with the imaginative play when she's totally into it and doesn't want to leave the others to stop as she's enjoying it. Have just broken that wetting phase again but I won't be surprised if it all starts again. If your lo seems happy there then I wouldn't let just the wee accidents make you think otherwise

Tori27 Tue 09-Nov-10 22:17:55

Thank you! That's kind of what I was thinking but a couple of people had put doubts in my mind.

CM has two younger ones and her loo is upstairs so futher from the toys than at home.

Thanks everyone. DH agrees with you all too as DD is very good at talking and he thinks she would have said if she didn't like it there.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: