Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CMs - WWYD? About timings of school run and possibly needing to change....

(10 Posts)
looneytune Tue 09-Nov-10 13:37:53

Hi

I work 7am - 6pm and the contracted hours are different for each child but a couple of the children are contracted from 8am. These 2 families have rarely come at 8am and I've always said I'm happy for them to drop off shortly after but that I leave for school at 8.15am so they need to be here by then, otherwise risk missing me and having to come nearer 9.30am.

One parent always tends to get here at 8.15 and has been nearly 5 minutes late (the most I'd have waited until going without them). I know 5 minutes doesn't sound much but with this particular school run, 5 mins can make a difference of 30 mins some times! The other family often come at 9.30 but I wait in until 8.15 in case they are coming before school (sometimes we're ready and would like to go at 8am but I wait in case).

Now this is my problem........they are doing pretty major gasworks right around school and the parking (which has always been a nightmare) is getting worse and worse and we've just had a letter from school confirming that from next week until Christmas, the road for school is actually closed so diversions will be in place. This is going to be an utter nightmare (can't wait!! NOT!). My concern is that if I'm late getting into school, 3 children are marked late and then because I'm late leaving, I risk being late getting back home for when the next mindee is due to arrive.

What I want to do is start leaving a bit earlier, I'd love to leave at 8am but that wouldn't be right as 2 families are contracted to arrive at that time. Would it be fair to maybe say I need to leave at 8.05 from next week? I'm still allowing 5 mins from their contracted start time, just loosing 10 minutes of their flexible drop off time? If the one who always does come before the school run (but often tight for time) isn't here by 8.05am, I'd wait until 8.10am and then go (that's if I decide to do this, obviously I'd notify them). Would that be fair?

My main questions are:

a) Is it fair that I move the flexible drop off until....time?
b) if I do change this, am I better making this a permanent change or just temporary? (bearing in mind that really, it would be nice to leave at the earlier time, even without roadworks, as the parking has been significally reduced around school and everyone struggles, but I have 5/6 children to walk to school and the younger ones get tired therefore I don't want to be TOO far away as has knock on effect to getting back in time)

Hope all that makes sense and TIA

booyhoo Tue 09-Nov-10 13:41:52

yes it is reasonable. TBH i think you have been more than generous waiting til 8.20 when they are contracted from 8am. they should drop off at 8. make the change and tell them that from now on you will be leaving at 8.05 and tell them why. it is up to them to be on time. i would make it permanent. what do you gain by going back to the original plan? you just get kept waiting.

looneytune Tue 09-Nov-10 13:48:24

Thanks I was hoping I wasn't being unreasonable. I do think it's best to make this permanent.

As for the 8.20 drop off......it's only actually happened a couple of times but being bang on 8.15am is no good as I have to put them in the car and wait for mum to get off the drive when I need to actually pull off my drive at 8.15am. When it got to 8.17am the other day I thought hmm, can't leave yet as what if her watch says 8.14/8.15 but I also didn't want to hang around so to make a point, I drove off my drive and parked opposite, facing the direction I need to drive. As I was pulling off the drive I could hear BEEP BEEP BEEEEEEEP coming up the road. She panicked thinking I was actually leaving. I told her I was worried about the time and that I was just making it quicker for leaving but that I WOULD have left at 8.20am so really she needs to be getting here sooner.

Anyway, I'll go ahead and make this change as it sounds like I am being fair. Also, it's not like it's just for my ds1, 2 other mindees would be late for school and another parent potentially late for work if I get back late!

Thanks

HSMM Tue 09-Nov-10 17:36:26

Yes, i would just let them know you need to leave at 0805 and will be back at 0930. I had to do this once and you really cannot wait another 5 mins, or you will be stressed and rushing small children, which is not good for anyone.

looneytune Tue 09-Nov-10 19:46:19

Thanks. Yes, I stress and struggle as it is so would prefer for it to not be worse!

BoysAreLikeDogs Tue 09-Nov-10 20:05:34

yes, it's so so stressful

put out a newsletter, so that not one family feels 'picked on' or singled out?

StarExpat Tue 09-Nov-10 21:05:33

Oh wow you are so lovely and thoughtful. Your request is totally reasonable and parents should respect that. I'd tell them to get there 5 mins before you absolutely have to leave, just so they are actually there and even if "late" they are still on time
The only way I could see it being a problem is if you were telling them to arrive earlier and charging them more iyswim.

phipps Tue 09-Nov-10 21:07:46

You can't have children late for school because a mother can't get to you on time. It isn't fair.

StarExpat Tue 09-Nov-10 21:46:49

I agree Phipps. Surely parents will understand this. I would/do

looneytune Wed 10-Nov-10 13:37:27

Thanks everyone and Star - you are a lovely parent

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now