Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nannies please help - need to switch back to employed status

(4 Posts)
Stardown Mon 08-Nov-10 05:02:50

I have been a nanny for a long time and was under 'Employed' status with all previous employers. I have recently done 6 months of maternity nursing during which I registered myself with HMRC as self-employed.

Now I have found the perfect nanny job that I will be in for 5 years plus, I need to switch back to employed. How do I go about doing this? I have looked on HMRC website and see nothing about switching back. Is it a simple case of giving employer my most recent P45 and having them sort it out with Nannytax?

firefrakkers Mon 08-Nov-10 06:59:59

You don't 'need' to switch formally as it's perfectly possible to be employed and SE simultaneously but that also means you won't lose SE status when you start your new job, although you will automatically become employed. If you plan to continue with any ad hoc work, night nannying or proxy parenting work you should retain your SE status.

If you no longer want to be SE at all then here for advice on closing/selling a business which tells you to contact the tax office and gives you the firms to fill in. The burden is on you to stop being SE and on them to employ you properly.

Danthe4th Mon 08-Nov-10 09:07:03

You will still get a tax return to fill in and if you earn nothing as se next year then thats what you put, there's no need to inform hmrc as that will be done via your employer, but keep an eye on your tax code as that may start off as an emergency code.

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 08-Nov-10 09:25:46

just tell the tax office unless you want to be se for ad hoc stuff, as frakk said you can be both

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now