Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Parents what do you look for in a childminder?

(4 Posts)
MUM2BLESS Sun 07-Nov-10 10:51:56

Hi

I am a childminder. Just interesting to know what parents look for when choosing a childminder.

I speak to childminders who are struggling to find work, for whatever reasons.

Also parents why did you choose your childminer? Whats special about the childminder or service they offer?

I am always looking for ways to improve my services to the families I offer my services to.

It would be interesting to hear from the parents themselves.

I am in the mood for asking questions grin

sunnydelight Mon 08-Nov-10 04:17:12

I want a childminder who views it as a proper job that she wants to do, rather than something she fell into/hasn't much choice about. I'm always put off by the "I had my own child so decided the easiest way to make some money was to look after another few as I'm home anyway" approach!

My last CM clearly took pride in doing a good job and offered a really good balance between organised trips/activities and the normal everyday stuff like going to the shops and the library.

Danthe4th Mon 08-Nov-10 09:13:31

Thats me then sunny!! but to be honest having 4 children of my own stands for a lot in terms of experience so I use it as a selling point now mine are all at school.
I also class myself as a professional and am continually developing my knowledge and skills.

MUM2BLESS Mon 08-Nov-10 13:44:13

Thanks sunny..its trure its got to be more than just making some money because I am home anyway...

Danthe4th I also have four children myself, all in full time school. I am very fussy about my kids and I also like to know that I can give the kids I look after the best care possible.

As a childminder I see other childminders who I would definately not use myself.

What would I as a parent look for in a childminder I would be willing to use?

Reliable
professional
Firm but fair with the children
aproachable as good communication is important
Good value for money (good package)
Somewhere that my kids felt at home
good range of activites provided
Good grading from Ofsted

This had really made me think about what I give the parents myself

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: