This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Average total cost of a live out nanny please??

(26 Posts)
OverflowingMum Thu 21-Oct-10 14:59:08

hello...
I could really use a bit of advice ....
I have recently gone back to work part time, and our curent childcare arrangements are not 2working. We are considering getting a nanny, but need to work out figures etc....to consider it.
Can anyone give me a rough idea for the average total cost of a nanny(live out) INCLUDING tax, NI etc....we are looking for 3 days a week, but if anyone can let me know average cost for 5 days I can work it out.

Also for those that use companies such as Nannytax for working out salaries how much is this per month?

We are outside London, and hours would be roughly 8-6.

Thanks! grin

frakkinstein Thu 21-Oct-10 15:16:49

There's a thread somewhere where nannynick did a great breakdown. Will see if I can find it!

HeadFairy Thu 21-Oct-10 15:19:24

If Frakkin finds the thread nannynick did it's fab.... I think nannytax is about £215 a year. There are others that are cheaper, around the £150 a year mark. We're actually going to be doing it ourselves. Dh works in the city and is all financially minded (God that makes me sound like a right surrendered wife! I'm the creative one ) and he's bought Sage software so he can produce his own payslips etc.... Time will tell if he actually does it without his head exploding.

frakkinstein Thu 21-Oct-10 15:23:53

I hope you're sitting down.

How much does a nanny cost?

Once you've recovered from that bear in mind OFSTED registered nannies can accept childcare vouchers and you could reduce the salary by about 20% for a newly qualified or inexperienced nanny.

If you put your total childcare budget (including money for mileage and activities) up we can probably work out what you get for your money. Or just how much you're prepared to spend on salary.

Part time wages per hour can be slightly more than full time as nanny needs to compensate for fitting 2 jobs together and losing one but not finding a compatible one fir a while.

frakkinstein Thu 21-Oct-10 15:25:41

Payroll depends who you use and what package but it ranges from approx £100-150.

OverflowingMum Thu 21-Oct-10 16:18:50

oh...thanks for that...very helpful.
Does seem it will be out of our budget thoughsadReckon it is going to work out at more than 2X the cost of what we currently pay for nursery for youngest and after school care for the older ones....
I do wonder how anyone affors a nanny these days...if we had to pay out that much it would hardly be worth me going to work, and I am in a relatively decntly paid job....hohum!
Back to the drawing board then!hmm
I am begining to remember now why I gave up work and was a SAHM for 5 years!!

frakkinstein Thu 21-Oct-10 16:33:13

The £37k is everything - heating, lighting, food included.

Lowest basic cost of salary, tax and employers NI is likely to be £14.5k based on £8.50 gross for a 30 hour week which, depending how far outside London you are, would get you someone with a couple of years experience. Can you say roughly which area?

Then I assume you'd need mileage for school runs? That's 40p per mile. Additional cost of payroll, £115. Kitty, depending on the activities you want your younger one to do maybe £5 a week during term time?

Is nanny with own child an option? That can be better value for money.

Or have you considered a childminder (not mch better than a nanny for 3 in some areas).

OverflowingMum Thu 21-Oct-10 17:06:56

Hi Frakkinstein, thanks for your help!
We are in Sheffield.
We have in the past (about 10 years ago!) had a nanny when our eldest 2 were nursery age, and it did work well, but wasnt sure what current prices were like.
This is our current situation:
I have just gone back towork part time after 5 years as a SAHM. We have 6 kids aged 2.5, 4, 6, 8 , 11 and 12.
2 yr old has gone to a private nursery.
I am working 60%, but have spread my hours over 4 days rather than 3 so I can do school drop off and pick up on those days. So currently I work Mon,Tue and Thurs 9.15 till 2.30 and Weds 9-5.On a weds the older kids (well 4 of them, oldest makes his own way home from secondary school)go to after school club which costs us £22/week.
DS2 nursery currently costs £542/month

There are a number of reasons current situation isnt ideal.
DS2 doesn't like nursery much and we are not too impressed, but this may improve.
We REALLY struggle when any of the kids are ill as we have NO family or friends at all, so every time one of them is poorly either DH or myself needs to take a day off work, which is not sustainable really.
I would personally much prefer to work 3 full days and have 2 full days off(would make both work and home easier I think), but cost of extra out of school sessions for older kids would make this not worth while.
I would find it really helpful to have someone who could do a little bit of general tidying and washing and cooking (yes I know a nanny wont do lots of housework, but just little things would help!)
The extra flexibility of a nanny would be a help for the many times when my boss wants me to come in early/work late etc...

we did look into childminders, but didnt find a suitable one, and costwise would be about the same, and doesnt solve the problem of when kids are ill....

I am just feeling soooo overwhelmed right now. I had sort of hoped a nanny would ease the pressure a little bit...

BUT I would need someone experienced as obviously for a couple of hours a day she would have 6 children to look after...which isn't easy! (although theolder ones are not too demanding!) and also for that reason it wouldn't work having someone who wanted to bring their own children (although I've nothing against that in principle)

I have to work, as we can't survive on 1 salary any more...but I do worry I've bitten off more than I can chew!hmm

EastMidlandsNanny Thu 21-Oct-10 18:48:33

The cost for a nanny is a lot less in Sheffield. Nannies in that area charge £7+ gross

tothepoint88 Thu 21-Oct-10 18:51:42

Why would you want to spend all that cash for somebody else to bring up your child?

overweightnoverdrawn Thu 21-Oct-10 19:20:23

stick your neck in to the point

thinkingaboutschools Thu 21-Oct-10 19:50:49

to the point - that is very judgemental (and hurtful to anyone who has to work). You don't know the OP circumstances.

OverflowingMum Thu 21-Oct-10 19:58:51

well you know what tothepoint I really havent the enrgy to go into that one....
I have 6 kids and have done all sorts over the past 12 years...SAHM, worked part time, worked full time, then SAHM for 5 years.
Right now I need to work as we simply can't make ends meet on DH salary any more. End of story! I have no intention of letting someone else "bring up my kids" but do need them to be safe and looked after and receive the best possible care for the hours I can't be there!
Maybe you ought to take a minute to consider whether your message is going to be helpful to the thread before posting in future.

OverflowingMum Thu 21-Oct-10 20:00:46

Eastmidlandsnanny thanks, that's useful to know!

Ceejayes Tue 01-May-12 20:07:31

Wow, am humbled after reading the plight of OverflowingMum! I just have the one and I can honestly say that the state of providing appropriate childcare is my greatest anxiety! I'd love to stop work and I resent paying half my salary to the nanny when I know I'm not really getting value for money. It's hard to find a good nanny that is more than a glorified babysitter these days. Options are limited where I am (out of the city/town) and I feel I have little choice. After reading the thread however I feel I shouldnt groan.
Hope it's all worked out.

eastnorth Tue 01-May-12 20:39:53

My nanny hardly uses any of the petty cash she just goes to toddler groups etc.

debs43 Sun 11-Sep-16 15:01:58

Hi can any one help me if I was to be a nanny for 2 kids for 3 days. 27 hours what should I be charging

nannynick Sun 11-Sep-16 15:44:46

Debs43, the family need to offer you a salary, not you charge them. How much the family offers depends on various factors such as location, what they can afford, job applicants experience and training may also be a factor.
Part-time tends to pay more than full-time when looked at on a per-hour basis. Range could well be £8-15 gross per hour.
Try to compare to other similar jobs in the area.

debs43 Sun 11-Sep-16 15:53:02

OK ta I no idea not sure yet if got job wot other jobs nannying I'm just starting out I'm 43

eurochick Sun 11-Sep-16 15:55:15

We're on London / Surrey borders. We started paying £30k gross. I wasn't getting into negotiating net salaries. No other type of employment talks about net salary. We pay the net salary of just under 2k monthly and the tax quarterly. On top of that we pay nannytax (couple of hundred a year I think?), expenses (average around £80 a month - mainly fuel, I think) and provide a kitty for toddler group fees and so on that we too up around £50 a month. We also provide food for the nanny's lunch (she brings some of her own food and helps herself from the kitchen to sandwich fillings and so on). You also need to bear in mind that your bills will go up - with someone in the house all day you use more electricity and so on. It's not cheap!

debs43 Sun 11-Sep-16 15:57:10

So if done all Frough books it's got b rite salary

JacquettaWoodville Sun 11-Sep-16 16:01:00

Yes, it's a salaried job; you are employed by the parents.

debs43 Sun 11-Sep-16 16:08:44

I live in Colchester. Her kids are 1 half and 2 half

JacquettaWoodville Sun 11-Sep-16 16:10:18

You might have been better starting your own thread than bumping one from 2012. What salary has been offered?

nannynick Sun 11-Sep-16 16:18:53

Ages of children and even number of children are of minor importance when it comes to salary. Parents with one child may pay the same as parents with 3 children. An advantage to parents of a nanny over other forms of childcare is that it is currently not calculated on a per child basis.

Through the books - it is ALWAYS through the books. If someone wants to pay cash in hand, walk away... run! Being a nanny is a job just like any other, you get the same employment rights as other employees.

Colchester won't pay as high as in London. £8-12 gross per hour perhaps.
Sites like www.nannyjob.co.uk will show job ads in the county, see if any ads give salary.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now