Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CM Club: Policy wording?

(14 Posts)
KatyMac Tue 31-Aug-10 16:19:53

Does this work?

I understand that the best place for my baby (or child) to sleep is in a cot. However due to my child’s individual and unique needs (please delete):

• Difficulties getting to sleep

• Sleeping in a bed not a cot

• Can climb out of a cot

• Because I would prefer their sleep to be watched

• Needs rocking

I request that Katymac put my baby/child ............................ to sleep (please delete)

• In a buggy

• On the sofa

• On a mat on the floor

• In someone’s arms

Or does it need tweaking??

stomp Tue 31-Aug-10 16:42:02

How about

While I will always try to follow your preference when meeting the needs of your child, from time to time those needs will change. This can happen when plans have been made for naps, such as: when, where and for how long s/he will sleep. I will of course discuss any changes to your child’s routine and always seek to fully meet the needs of every child.

something like that.

KatyMac Tue 31-Aug-10 16:55:20

A childminder round here got inadequate because she put a baby to sleep in a pram even though the mum requested it - so it needs to be specific and in writing now <sigh>

stomp Tue 31-Aug-10 17:28:24

How silly.
I have seen an OS nursery putting babies in pushchairs- next to the cots! If that is the only way baby will sleep then what is wrong with ‘meeting the childs needs’?
I do have a list of sleep options on the childs information sheet but I also say if mums preference doesn’t work I would like to use another strategy- and keep mum fully informed.

ForzaDelDestino Tue 31-Aug-10 17:32:50

Katy I am having a think and will come back to this

ForzaDelDestino Tue 31-Aug-10 17:45:08

Okay

I understand that the best place for my baby (or child) to sleep is in a cot. However due to my child’s individual and unique needs (please INDICATE):

• Difficulties getting to sleep

• Sleeping in a bed not a cot

• Can climb out of a cot

• Because I would prefer their sleep to be watched

• Needs rocking

. OTHER ...............

I request that Katymac put my baby/child ............................ to sleep (please INDICATE)

• In a buggy

• On the sofa

• On a mat on the floor

• In someone’s arms

. OTHER ............

???

KatyMac Tue 31-Aug-10 17:49:58

Oh yes indicate is better than delete & other gives more parental input.....I wonder if anyone would put "because I says so" grin

I need to do one for toys now....

KatyMac Tue 31-Aug-10 18:00:55

"The toys at Katymac's have been checked to ensure they are suitable for children to play with. Due to the wide range of ages of the children we care for it is possible that some of the toys your child may play with might not be tested or insured for children of your child’s age.

All the activities at Katymac's are risk assessed regularly but we need your agreement for your child to play with toys not specifically marked for their age range.

Some of these toys include:

• Items in the treasure baskets
• Painted wooden toys where the paint has not been specifically tested for ingestion
• Toys which are age appropriate but where the manufacturer has not paid for the relevant insurance.
• Raw pasta, rice, homemade playdough, icing tubes, ice cubes etc.

Obviously we would not put children in any risk of harm at all and if you have any concerns about the toys and equipment we use you must bring this to our attention. But otherwise we would like permission to share toys and equipment with your child which have not been declared “safe”"

That's no good at all is it?

ForzaDelDestino Tue 31-Aug-10 18:01:16

because I say so - ROFL

ask about the toy one when you are ready to pick our brainses

HSMM Tue 31-Aug-10 18:27:13

But what if they do have concerns about your toys? What will you do?

I think you should have a 'because I say so' option on your list.

What would that Ofsted inspector have said if she was told that the child was asleep in the pram because they had just got back from a walk and the child fell asleep on the way?

Also - if you have something very specific, what if the child asks to sleep in a cot instead of the bed, or simply falls asleep on the floor/settee? Do you have to move them in case an inspector pops round?

ForzaDelDestino Tue 31-Aug-10 18:46:40

oh sorry didn't see the post about the toys

will ponder and come back

KatyMac Tue 31-Aug-10 18:46:45

I guess a written risk assessment on the toy addressing the parents concerns and removing (toy/child/parent) as appropriate grin

ForzaDelDestino Tue 31-Aug-10 18:50:08

"The toys at Katymac's have been checked to ensure they are suitable for children to play with. Due to the wide range of ages of the children we care for it is possible that some of the toys your child may play with might not be tested or insured for children of your child’s age.

All the activities at Katymac's are risk assessed regularly but we need your agreement for your child to play with toys not specifically marked for their age range.

Some of these toys include:

• Items in the treasure baskets
• Painted wooden toys where the paint has not been specifically tested for ingestion
• Toys which are age appropriate but where the manufacturer has not paid for the relevant insurance.
• Raw pasta, rice, homemade playdough, icing tubes, ice cubes etc.

* This list is not exhaustive; please feel free to ask to see the risk assessment at any time

Signed and dated by parent and you/your setting?

(this way you are not saying twice we need your permission)

KatyMac Tue 31-Aug-10 21:25:20

That is better

Thanks

I hate writing these

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now