Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Full time live out nanny Battersea London

(25 Posts)
Zaczac Tue 10-Aug-10 18:29:17

Advice???How much do I have to offer for a full time live out nanny position? For DS1 (4 years old) and DS1 (22 mths)
DS1 in nursery scholl 9-3 term time...

poppy34 Tue 10-Aug-10 19:04:05

Full time meaning five days a week but how many hours and what duties?

Zaczac Tue 10-Aug-10 19:36:46

8am to 6pm five days a week. School run for DS1 during school term and activity drop off/ pick up during school holiday.looking after DS2, taking DS2 to play groups/ play center. Cook/feed children, tidy up children stuff.we got cleaner so only tidy up between...

poppy34 Tue 10-Aug-10 20:49:11

How much experience has she got/qualifications ? As that will indicate if low / High end of range? Also has she said anything about expectations/ what is she being currently being paid?

This gives you a range www.littledarlingsnannyagency.co.uk/salary.htm and this will do tax calc so you can work out gross (don't forget to take out employers ni on this when you tran nslating back for what you put in contract.) tax calc.

Only you know how much you can afford v. What you think nanny worth - I tend to get dh to do it as he negotiates in a much more business like way(some nannies IMO ESP if asked via an agency have unrealistic salary expectations given their experience and it's in
Agencies interests to up wages for more fees).

poppy34 Tue 10-Aug-10 20:52:54

And that sounds fairly standard hours and duties.

howdidthishappenthen Tue 10-Aug-10 20:55:03

£9- £10 per hour net around here (SW1X)...

poppy34 Tue 10-Aug-10 20:58:26

That standard here too- that salary thing looks bit toppy based on my experience (Twickenham).

BusyBeeKim Tue 10-Aug-10 21:04:13

I would have said between £8-£10 net per hour depending on how much experience you want her to have.

Zaczac Tue 10-Aug-10 21:12:11

Thank you. I am thinking about £10 too. Just a quick one, would I need to offer nanny an annual leave - by law of 20 days a year? And what can I do if the family go on summer holiday for one month? Still paying nanny? Can I pay her £10 per hour cash and she can go pay her own tax? Sick leave- do I need to pay?

Zaczac Tue 10-Aug-10 21:19:07

Poppy34, just used your calculator.it is great. Thank you very much.

Starberries Tue 10-Aug-10 21:23:59

Zac, holiday entitlement is 5.6 weeks, that can either include or exclude bank holidays - most standard nanny contracts are Bank Hols off, and 4 weeks off, 2 of nanny's choice, 2 of family's. It depends what your contract says re: the month off in the summer, a lot of contracts say if you are in effect 'laying off' nanny you have to pay her, but if she's still around she can always come in and sort children's clothes, rooms, toys, etc.

You can not pay cash, it's illegal and you can be fined a heck of a lot of money.

Sick leave, you must have statutory sick pay in your contract, but it's up to you if you as an employer want to offer any days paid (I for example have 5 days full sick pay, but it's rare I think).

When are you looking for someone to start as I consequently am looking for a job in Battersea in the near future?

Starberries Tue 10-Aug-10 21:24:20

Oh and also, I usually take a month unpaid off in July to visit family in the USA so that would be perfect grin

drinkyourmilk Tue 10-Aug-10 21:26:29

It is standard nanny contract to have 4 weeks leave paid.

Mostly it's 2 weeks employers choice and 2 weeks nannys choice.

Any extra taken (by agreement) by the nanny is unpaid, and any extra taken by the family is paid (as the nanny is available to work. It is acceptable to ask the nanny to do extra child related duties during this time ime ie. - deep clean toys, mend clothes etc. Though i tend to do this as routine as do many professional nannies)

Zaczac Tue 10-Aug-10 21:37:48

Starberries,I am considering on all the options at the moment as DS1&2 are in full time nursery at the mo. DS1 is on a waiting list for a nursery school to start mid Oct . Then I want DS2 stay home / playgroup / class with nanny.So the earliest to start a nanny will be November.
And yes, our summer holiday is July/Aug time.
More question???Can I use Childcare Voucher to pay nanny? I and DH get this through work.

poppy34 Tue 10-Aug-10 21:40:08

Yes if nanny is ofsted registered

BusyBeeKim Tue 10-Aug-10 21:41:35

You can use vouchers but the nanny will have to be Ofsted registered. The process can take about 12 weeks so best to get that started as soon as you have found someone.

Starberries Tue 10-Aug-10 21:42:12

Yes, you can use vouchers if nanny is Ofsted registered. I'm not, but I have all the requirements to be, my current family doesn't benefit from them so haven't been registered yet!

If you'd like to see my CV, please e-mail me at nanny . sarah @ live . co . uk (without spaces). Many thanks

November time is perfect for me!

Zaczac Tue 10-Aug-10 22:23:46

Thank you everyone!!! Now I have all info to present to my DH...

nannynick Tue 10-Aug-10 22:34:51

Do you need to factor in other costs associated with having a nanny, such as activities, travel, food, heat/light that would not be considered. If so, then my post at Sat 05-Dec-09 11:29:55 gives an indication of those costs - though getting something totally accurate will be hard as down to individual circumstances.

Zaczac Tue 10-Aug-10 22:48:05

Thanks nannynick. I am planning on free Sure Start Activity Center for DS2 which is attached to my son nursery school.
Then need to add more cost from your link...

If I find the nanny option is too expensive, do you think I can get a "someone" to do before and after school care for DS1? Does this type of job exist?Then I will leave DS2 at nursery full time?

nannynick Tue 10-Aug-10 22:58:46

Surestart Center can be good... though I find that sometimes a child can be of an age where they don't fit into any of the sessions. Maybe that's just my local centre though.

Before and after school nannies do exist, though may come with a child in tow as it can be the sort of job which can accommodate a nanny bringing their own child. They may even be able to pickup from nursery if that is more convenient / lowers the nursery cost.

Zaczac Tue 10-Aug-10 23:06:06

Where can I find a before and after school nanny? They charge per child per hour? Do they cover school holiday?How much in London? Do I have to go through nanny tax etc and NI as well??

nannynick Thu 12-Aug-10 21:55:18

Where can I find a before and after school nanny?

Nanny Agency
online recruitment websites such as NannyJob.co.uk, Childcare.co.uk, Gumtree.com, FindABabysitter.com

They charge per child per hour?

No. Nannies charge on a per family basis. It could be per hour... though it's you who determines how much you pay, as you offer them a salary.

>Do they cover school holiday?
They might or they might not. It will depend on the person and your contract with them. Some people may only be available during term-time, others may be able to do more hours during school holidays. Keep in mind that they may have another job during other days/hours.

>How much in London?
Very hard to give any salary indications. Think about how much you are able to offer, then start advertising at a little below that so you can give a pay rise later on. In London nannies can be wanting anything from £7 to £15 Gross an hour.

>Do I have to go through nanny tax etc and NI as well?

Yes you are the employer so you will need to operate PAYE. You don't have to use a payroll agency, HMRC do provide you with website & CD-ROM to help with the form filling. However it can be easier to have someone else do a lot of it for you... payroll agencies often charge around £125 a year... PAYEforNannies, NannyPAYE, TaxingNannies are just a few of many companies offering a service to parents.

As your employee your nanny is entitled to 5.6 weeks paid holiday (this can include bank holidays) plus they have other employment rights (such as maternity leave, redundancy, notice periods). Best advice is to treat your employee as you would want a great employer to treat you.

Zaczac Fri 13-Aug-10 21:25:16

Thank you
it is all make sense now

MiTran1986 Mon 08-Oct-12 18:25:46

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now