Advanced search

Childcare Idea

(39 Posts)
Ideasears Fri 11-Oct-19 21:06:13

I'm a part-time teacher looking to earn more money over the school holidays. I regularly speak to parents on the school playground who struggle for childcare during the holidays. As I'm already CRB checked and I have the space, I'm considering offering childcare to parents at my child's school.
Is this a good idea?
Is it something you would consider.when looking for childcare?
I would provide all food etc and I wouldn't charge much. Maybe £10-15 for the day and a maximum of 6 children at any one time.
Any thoughts?

june2007 Fri 11-Oct-19 21:12:31

If it,s based at the school then it would be like a holiday club. You would need permission from your school and look into the ofsted requirements but yes it would be something I would consider. My afterschool club (based at school.) has done this in the past but not at the mo.I think providing food would be hard though wouldn't it be better for the children to provide own. I think the set up you want would be better in yor own home.

nannynick Fri 11-Oct-19 21:14:28

What country are you in? CRB was replaced by DBS a few years back now, so I presume you are in England or Wales but which one - it might make a difference to the legislation that applies.

Childcare on school premises... I think in England that would be Childcare on Non-Domestic Premises so you would need to meet the minimum staffing ratio and other requirements.

nannynick Fri 11-Oct-19 21:17:06

Or do you mean you live close to the school and you have space at your home, thus you are looking at registering as a childminder?

WaterSheep Fri 11-Oct-19 21:18:52

As I'm already CRB checked

You mean DBS?

As for the idea it won't work.

- Surely it breaches your school's conflict of interest policy?
- You would have to be Ofsted Registered
- If serving food you would need to register your home with environmental health.

For an extra £90 a day it's not worth it.

WaterSheep Fri 11-Oct-19 21:24:21

Apologies having re-red you said your child's school, not your school. So it wouldn't necessarily breach your school's conflict of interest policy. However, my other points still stand.

Ideasears Fri 11-Oct-19 21:26:13

It would be in my own home.
I meant DBS checked... need sleep.
It would be for the children at my child's school through the parents of those in her class, nothing to do with the children I teach at my school.

Ideasears Fri 11-Oct-19 21:28:09

Thanks @watersheep.
I suppose bringing a packed lunch would address the food issue. I would need to look into getting ofsted registered though... umm.

Summersunshine2 Fri 11-Oct-19 21:29:06

Sounds like a great idea to me. How old is your child? Be prepared for them to think it's an awful idea! My DSis was a childminder. Her children did not enjoy being forced to be friends and sharing their home with the children she looked after!

Ideasears Fri 11-Oct-19 21:29:42

Yes it would be classed as childminding, so I would need to be registered. How much do childminders charge for older children? 4+?

june2007 Fri 11-Oct-19 21:29:48

Yes could be done but you would need to be registered as a childminder ansd go through all of the paper work for that but as someone in the industry you would know that right? and £10.00 a day are you sure?

nannynick Fri 11-Oct-19 21:32:02

Would you care for children who were only aged 8 or over?
If so then you don't have to register, but would parents use an unregistered facility?

I suspect you would register as a childminder. So have a look at other childminders in your area and see what they charge, what they provide.

Pipandmum Fri 11-Oct-19 21:32:18

Well sounds good in principle but I’m sure you’d have to be registered and really £10-15 a day? Including food? Craft materials, games etc? Your house will get wrecked. How long is the day? 9-3 or 8-6? You’re mad not to be charging more.

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat Fri 11-Oct-19 21:32:43

I’m a childminder and charge £55/day.

You would make zero profit if you’re doing it properly, including food (and outings/ activities?) and only charging £15 a day.

loooosir Fri 11-Oct-19 21:45:50

What I believe you can do a tutoring, sports or craft club for a certain number of hours without OFSTED registration, or 'open access' childcare/creche style care.

What do you teach? You could run a club for just mornings, and avoid the hassle of registration. (CMs won't like this, but it's the rules, and it provides a different type of care that can be useful.)

Instatwat Fri 11-Oct-19 21:59:13

Suggest you need to give this more thought and dedicated research rather than asking strangers what a childminder charges for 4YOs hmm Obviously this depends on location and the kind of thing you are offering.
Research fully, draw up a business plan, find out which legislation you need to abide by.

GreenTulips Fri 11-Oct-19 22:00:47

You’d be better getting a holiday club sorted at school with more children and back up staff

BornInAThunderstorm Fri 11-Oct-19 22:02:12

It sounds like a good idea but my local holiday club charges £17 for school hours and £25 for 8am to 6pm so you could rethink your pricing

IncrediblySadToo Fri 11-Oct-19 22:07:51

You’d be mad to charge so little

There’s a lot of work getting set up as a CM and a ridiculous amount of paperwork

As someone else has mentioned you might be able to set up an activity or club that doesn’t require the Ofsted hoops

Back before the world went mad you could have looked after a few of your child’s friends, without the world ending, for a few quid...

IamChipmunk Fri 11-Oct-19 22:09:38

Our breakfast/after school club lady also does holiday club from home during the holidays. We pay £30 for 7.30-6 that includes breakfast, lunch and light tea.
She was a childminder but then spotted a gap for breakfast/afterschool club.

You would be mad to charge so little for full days.

BernadetteRostankowskiWolowitz Fri 11-Oct-19 22:11:09

The fee is bonkers. You need to pay for insurance and things like first aid courses etc. You will be given Ofsted inspections. You will need to file self assessments and this job would be self employed- there may be tax implications on your current income.

WaterSheep Sat 12-Oct-19 06:41:29

Research fully, draw up a business plan, find out which legislation you need to abide by.

/\/\ This. Your posts are coming across as though you haven't done any research at all.

Buyitinbamboo Sat 12-Oct-19 08:20:57

Most childminders in our area charge £5ph and they aren't making loads after they pay their outgoings so I would seriously look at your pricing

user1483387154 Sat 12-Oct-19 08:25:01

Are you allowed to run a business from your home? Have you looked at the cost of extra insurance etc?

Ideasears Sat 12-Oct-19 08:25:14

I haven't done any research whatsoever. You're quite right to point that out.
Part of my research is asking on here first ...? Weird.

Anyway, my intention is basically to help out a few mum friends and earn a bit of extra cash for family outings on other days during the holidays. If I can do this with out jumping through ofsted and registration hoops, that would be 👌

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »