Advanced search

Need help please

(9 Posts)
Ali00 Tue 08-Oct-19 22:58:01

Hi guys,
Our child will turn 3 in december and we are stuck at the moment in terms of how to go forward with nursery.
Can you please direct us in right direction? We need to know how to apply for a 30 hrs free nursery. It would be very helpful if somebody guides us step by step forward.
Thanks in advance guys smile

Rainatnight Tue 08-Oct-19 23:02:36

There’s a government website that sets it out. Have you googled “30 hours free childcare”?

INeedNewShoes Tue 08-Oct-19 23:10:22

You just need to find a nursery that offers 'funded places' or 'funded hours' and that will have space for your DC. Phone your nearest 2 or 3 nurseries and arrange to visit to get an idea if you like the way it's run. The nursery will be able to point you in the right direction for claiming your 30 hours, or your local council website may well have an online form you can fill in.

Khalisah12 Wed 09-Oct-19 07:07:40

Does anyone know about any phonic classes that take place for younger children before entering school in Cardiff?? It seems popular in places around England. Cannot find anything in Cardiff.

Apple40 Wed 09-Oct-19 07:24:32

Just be aware your funded hours will not be totally free, as the nursery or childminder will have charges for you to pay e.g. to cover food, trips, arts and craft etc. This is because the money paid to providers for the funded hours is usually way below what they charge per hour and only covers the care and nothing else e.g. food etc.
It is also down to the provider how they offer you the hours, just mornings, afternoon between curtain times of the day, term time only or all year around where you then get around 22 hours a week but hours are spread over the year so you still get your full amount.
So when you visit your providers it will be good idea to see what else you will need to pay for as part of having the funded hours with them.

itsaboojum Wed 09-Oct-19 11:16:11

The government website is at .

If you need further guidance, call your local authority's children and families department. They should also have a list of those settings offering the funded hours. Don’t assume every place will offer it: it is such a bad deal that many refuse to work for rates that will bankrupt them.

jannier Wed 09-Oct-19 15:52:32

You can choose to use the funding between 2 providers for example school nursery and childminder or one. You can also choose to stretch it over a year so around 22 hours a week or have 30 term time only. Think what works best for you then find early education that offers it.
Some settings ask to pay for extras like outings and classes some dont. Some say it's a morning session then a paid lunch hour before an afternoon session and your free to collect and take home (most often nurseries)

Ali00 Wed 09-Oct-19 19:10:00

Thanks guys... ive got an idea where to start from atleast... keep your valuable comments coming in. smile

itsaboojum Fri 11-Oct-19 10:32:33

Be aware that you might not be able to choose between 30 hours in term time or 22 hours per week 'stretched' over the year. Local authorities have interpreted this differently, with some leaving it up to childcare providers as to how they offer the hours, rather than giving parents free rein over how it has to be offered.

A small detail, but it can be important to some parents who might read this.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »