Talk

Advanced search

Teacher trying to work out childcare options

(34 Posts)
Teachermum2b Mon 30-Sep-19 21:21:45

Hi I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on childcare options. I'm a teacher and I was just wondering if a nanny or childminder would charge for the school holidays. I know nurseries do nowadays and as I get 18 weeks holiday I just want to know if it's realistic that I would be able to find an option where we wont have to pay for 18 weeks extra childcare which I obviously wont be using. Any advice gratefully received.

madrose Mon 30-Sep-19 21:23:54

Au pair? We had one from September until July and they went home during the half terms etc.

LoisLittsLover Mon 30-Sep-19 21:26:29

Our nursery offer fulltime and termtime contracts

PickledLilly Mon 30-Sep-19 21:28:10

Many Childminders will offer term time only contracts.

HighwayCat Mon 30-Sep-19 21:28:15

I have a childminder who has a term time only option. The nursery I use also does once you’re on the 15/30 funded hours scheme.

OctoberLovers Mon 30-Sep-19 21:28:29

Some childminders would , but not many nannies i dont think.

Each is individual, and when looking, state this requirement

Moreisnnogedag Mon 30-Sep-19 21:28:57

Some childminders do term time only so its worth asking around. How old are your dc?

saraclara Mon 30-Sep-19 21:29:14

I had a child minder who actively preferred having teachers' children, as it meant she could focus on her own children during the holidays. Consequently she didn't ask for payment for holidays because it was her choice to work that way.

I don't know how you'd find someone like that though. Fortunately I just met mine randomly at playgroup!

mnahmnah Mon 30-Sep-19 21:30:59

We used a nursery with our eldest, totally term-time only. But that’s only 13 weeks holiday, not 18. Are you not in England? Or private school? Not sure they would do 18 weeks holiday. We use a childminder now with our youngest. Term-time only again. Most childminders in my experience will do it. Nurseries often don’t.

fruitpastille Mon 30-Sep-19 21:32:41

I've had 2 childminders who were happy to do term time only. Current one charges half rates to hold the place as she could easily fill it otherwise.

daisydoooo Mon 30-Sep-19 21:35:10

some nannies and childminders will, but not all so you might have to look around. We've had to pay half rate for hold before but been lucky with term time contracts too. Just make sure you clarify before signing anything.

Teachermum2b Mon 30-Sep-19 21:40:04

Thanks everyone. I'm not due till March but trying to work out costs etc and I want to have a better idea before baby arrives. I've looked at the nurseries around us and the only one that offer "holidays" only give August at a reduced rate. It's private school holidays so I know its a lot but that's one of the reasons we're looking at me being able to go back full time as I will be able to have plenty of time with our child during the holidays. I'll make sure when I start search to put it clearly in the details. Any advice on how far in advance you should start looking?

m0therofdragons Mon 30-Sep-19 21:40:44

I have a term time only contract with a childminder.

blahblahblahblahhh Mon 30-Sep-19 21:42:31

My nursery does teacher term time contracts.

LikeaSnowflake Mon 30-Sep-19 21:45:43

I’m a teacher and I have children in nursery on a term time only contract.

Not all nurseries do them but where they do, they often allow you to book extra days up to a certain amount so if you need to go into the school at any point during the holidays, you have options.

I have always looked about 6-8 months before but I think it depends on where you are. Best to ask around locally if you can I think. IME nurseries are happy to discuss by phone or email before you visit.

happytoday73 Mon 30-Sep-19 21:46:26

Near me you would need to be booking in before baby arrives... Preferably before Christmas.

I think it's highly likely you will get a Childminder that does term only... Might not totally match your dates but sure could negotiate

glenthebattleostrich Mon 30-Sep-19 21:48:06

I'm a childminder and I offer term time only contracts. I also offer monthly payments (39 weeks payments divided by 12 months).

mankyfourthtoe Mon 30-Sep-19 21:52:23

I was a term time only childminder. Not found a nursery who did that

nannynick Mon 30-Sep-19 22:19:56

As a nanny I have worked for several teachers and had Term Time contracts. There is holiday pay to include, that works out around 4 weeks... to calculate it, take the working hours per week during term time, multiply by number or weeks and then calculate 12.07% of the total. That gives total holiday pay in hours which are taken during school holidays.

With one child, a nanny is a costly option.

Apple40 Mon 30-Sep-19 23:50:38

Hi, as a childminder I offer term time only contracts but based upon my local school term times, I also charge 1 day a week in the holidays and recommend the child attends as this helps them adjust and remember me when they are very small.

BackforGood Tue 01-Oct-19 00:08:25

I think you'll find that if you do find a CMer or a Nursery offering 'term time only', then it will be for 38 weeks that are state school terms though, not the holidays you get.

CMers are self employed so can set their own terms. A few CMers do this as it means they are not working when their own dc are around in the holidays. A lot of Nurseries have either moved to term time only, or have lot of their staff employed on term time only contracts, as so many dc are funded now the numbers drop massively in the school holidays, so they are quite likely to - but again, it won't match your holidays.

I used a few different CMers over the years and all charged 1/2 price for the holidays.

AMonkeysMummy Tue 01-Oct-19 06:46:37

I'm a teacher too and wanted to put LO in nursery for term time only, however it worked out financially the same to put her in full time at a better nursery as the prices were higher term time only.

As it happens, I'm so pleased I did! She loves nursery and it means I get a bit of time to myself to clean the house, plus she doesn't have to be resettled after a long break. A teacher friend had a nightmare after the summer holidays because of this. Something to consider...

manicmij Tue 01-Oct-19 13:56:06

Either not the UK or private education system given 18 weeks holiday. Au pair would probably fit best covering from beginning to end of school year. Obviously holidays in the different terms but you would probably appreciate having au pair for some if the breaks given all the extra work teachers do in their holidays. Also no having to take and collect school routine as au pair would accommodate.

manicmij Tue 01-Oct-19 13:59:53

Sorry, didn't appreciate you don't have children never mind school children as yet. Nursery depending in whether or not one will accommodate where you are.

insancerre Fri 04-Oct-19 06:26:29

I work in a nursery that offers term time only contracts and we don’t charge a higher rate than all year round
It is 38 weeks so any inset days have to be paid for extra
I would suggest looking as soon as you can and look at as many nurseries as you can

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »