Talk

Advanced search

What's my best option for childcare?

(27 Posts)
Rainbowhairdontcare Fri 20-Sep-19 10:09:20

Once DS hits one and I get back to work we'll need a nursery place for him. We're both on minimum wage so not a lot to spare (and our only help is tax free childcare). Our DMs will come one month at a time to help with childcare to a total of three months. DH has a summer schedule for 5 months, so we'll only need 3 days out of 5. We also plan to take some time off (but I think that's seem as "holiday"). What type of childcare would offer most flexibility?

Rainbowhairdontcare Tue 24-Sep-19 09:00:35

No I can't... I was made redundant and my only option was to either move back to London or Oxford (where the second office is based). With a shared custody that was impossible.

What we've discussed is that either DH goes PT (we'd have about the same.money but he at least would look after our DS) or he'll change jobs closer to where we live.

He doesn't want to go back to retail (which I completely understand). I don't think my employer really wants condensed hours, he'd rather I do project based things (which could be done anytime during the week) or work in the evenings from home

Stephw306 Fri 04-Oct-19 22:16:01

I haven’t used this site before so I don’t know if I am starting a new post or responding to someone elses!

I was just after some advice. I am 30 and just found out I am expecting my first child. My only worry is affordability of childcare and wondered what the best option would be.

I work full time earning £28k a year and my partner who is also working full time earns £19k a year. Once I go down to statutory maternity pay at 4 months off I’ll have to return to work as we won’t be able to afford our house/bills otherwise. My partner is thinking of dropping a day at work as he earns less so makes more sense him dropping a day. I just wanted to know what help and support is out there for working parents.

Also when a child gets to school age what do parents do in the holidays as we wouldn’t get enough annual leave to cover the holidays?

Thanks to anyone who can help smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »