Talk

Advanced search

Pre reception class can’t work for working parents

(71 Posts)
Onemorecrisp Tue 17-Sep-19 18:20:06

How do you access pre school as working parents ?
Sessions are 9-3 no wrap around available. They don’t even do pre or after pre school club/ breakfast club.
School says it’s important for transition.

Will have to be straight from private nursery to reception... not fair ??? Does it matter?

Onemorecrisp Tue 17-Sep-19 18:20:58

Also don’t accept 30hours so can’t top up, child must attend 15 hours.

Parents working hours are 8-6

LittleLostThing Tue 17-Sep-19 18:22:12

A lot of kids don’t go to preschool as a result of rules like this. It’s daft.

toomuchfaster Tue 17-Sep-19 18:22:24

Doesn't matter at all, stick to private nursery as it works for you.

JustMe9 Tue 17-Sep-19 18:22:40

following

Letthemysterybe Tue 17-Sep-19 18:24:10

It’s not a big deal if they don’t go. Any pre school kids will have had 6 weeks off before reception starts, so I’m
Not sure that they are massively more prepared than other kids.

bluebluezoo Tue 17-Sep-19 18:25:07

You could find a childminder or before/after school club that will drop off and pick up. If there’s no wraparound other parents must be managing somehow.

Having said that, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with going straight from private nursery to reception.

megletthesecond Tue 17-Sep-19 18:25:10

Straight from private nursery to reception here. No problems, they got them school ready too.

hopeishere Tue 17-Sep-19 18:29:54

I paid a fucking fortune. Full time private day care, then extra to get him brought to and from reception (afternoon session).

Onemorecrisp Tue 17-Sep-19 18:32:03

Thanks.
School emphasis is on transition and visiting the reception class regularly etc. Not sure private nursery will have the same “vibe” as attending if you see what I mean, also mixing with the kids going to be in a class with?

Onemorecrisp Tue 17-Sep-19 18:32:26

Childminders here all charge for the full day for under 5s

YobaOljazUwaque Tue 17-Sep-19 18:33:27

School are incorrect that it is important for transition. Private nursery will be following the same early years curriculum as pre-school. It is fine to just wait till Reception, when it will be 30 hours guaranteed. However you should start looking for appropriate wraparound care now for Reception (presumably this time next year?) as a lot of school wraparound setups won't take reception kids - you will need a childminder able to do wraparound and they can be hard to find.

NoSquirrels Tue 17-Sep-19 18:36:20

Childminder. That’s what I did.

Yes, you might pay for the whole day but you won’t pay for preschool so it works out even.

Some childminders are Ofsted registered and will offer the ‘free hours’ but as you’re accessing them at another setting (preschool) again that wouldn’t make a difference.

Teachermaths Tue 17-Sep-19 18:36:45

Don't worry they won't be the only one who goes straight into Reception. Look into childcare options before they start Reception and before you apply so you know you are covered.

NoSquirrels Tue 17-Sep-19 18:37:25

But honestly, most people just stick with all-day nursery if they work FT. They’ll all make friends in reception, don’t worry.

Passthecherrycoke Tue 17-Sep-19 18:38:28

Your private nursery is still pre school and follows the same curriculum. It’s probably a better setting so not sure what you think they’ll miss? School preschools are for sahps when their children get free hours generally

ritzbiscuits Tue 17-Sep-19 18:38:56

We went straight from private nursery to school reception as we both work. No issue with settling and he did well on all his EYFS goals.

I know one mum who said their child was bored and disliked school nursery. Personally I wanted to only send him 3 x full days and then have Mon/Fri with us as parents. They're only young once.

I also have several friends that went to a school nursery but then didn't get into the school! So any transition benefit goes out the window!

Cracklycaramel Tue 17-Sep-19 18:39:43

We had the same when my children were little. About 95% of the reception intake went to the pre school, 5% went to private nursery (including mine) as the preschool had set hours.

We actually found it was the private nursery kids who settled best in reception because they were used to the routine of longer days.

PrincessSarene Tue 17-Sep-19 18:39:52

My DD has just gone into Reception from a private nursery. No issues whatsoever with transition (we’re into week 3 now). Her nursery were fabulous at getting them “school ready” and the schools here do visits out to their childcare settings to get to meet them, as well as stay and play sessions prior to starting.

Also, don’t know how it works where you are, but nursery/preschool attendance aren’t taken into account when allocating primary/infant school places. So even if your child goes to a nursery/preschool attached to a school, then there’s no guarantee they will get a Reception class at the place.

FlashAhHaaaaa Tue 17-Sep-19 18:40:15

It's complete nonsense. I had this crap when dd was that age. She stayed at nursery f/t until the day before she started school. She's now at Oxford university if that helps.

Seeline Tue 17-Sep-19 18:41:38

I assume you are talking about a nursery attached to a Primary school? It is only really helpful for those children who attend the Primary for reception. Both mine did attend as I was a SAHM and they hadn't been to nursery. Lots of the children they got friendly with ended up going to different primaries. There were loads of children in reception who hadn't been to the school nursery and everyone settled in fine, and lots of new friends made. They did take the children into the reception classes a few times during the summer term but after 6 weeks holiday, they didn't remember much. Also both mine had new teachers in reception so didn't even meet the right teacher!

Yours will be fine carrying on a their nursery.

WaynettaSlobOnTheSchoolRun Tue 17-Sep-19 18:42:03

Where I live there aren't any preschools attached to schools, and the children joining in Reception seem to do just fine without smile

BogglesGoggles Tue 17-Sep-19 18:43:59

You could use an au pair or a nanny. But we didn’t do this because our school didn’t have this. It doesn’t seem to have caused anyone any issues.

SDTGisAnEvilWolefGenius Tue 17-Sep-19 18:45:51

I am willing to bet that, within a very few weeks, you’d be hard pressed to differentiate the children who have been to pre-school from those who went to a private nursery. It may be true that pre-school has advantages over private nursery provision, but equally the nursery probably has advantages over the pre-school - and I think that all of these will even out pretty swiftly.

Streamingbannersofdawn Tue 17-Sep-19 18:46:23

I run a child care setting and we are not attached to a school, we get a lot of parents panicking about school transition and should they move their child to the local school's attached pre -school. Of course they then have the problems you describe, not to mention it doesn't have the best reputation.

Being school ready is about developing independence and confidence. Sitting and concentrating for longer periods, following instructions and social skills. Plus developing a good pen grip, recognising numbers and some letters and other things like that. We do ALL of that, plus we talk about going to school, call a register, have the reception teachers in for a visit. The only thing we don't do that the other pre-school does is to take them to play in the reception class room. It has been reported that all our leavers went into school very confidently this year.

Any good setting will do the same. Parents tend to think that going to pre-school with the children they will be in reception with is hugely important but in my experience they make new friends really quickly and change them like we change our socks.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »