Talk

Advanced search

Childcare 30 hours

(4 Posts)
Lytollis4 Tue 10-Sep-19 11:41:21

So i am feeling completely let down by the government. I have 4 children two are at school full time , one in nursery and a baby. I am working 20hours a week term time and studying to become a teaching assistant. I work nights because i can't afford childcare and i needed 30hours in order to have time to complete assignments. My mother in law has my children while i work and do placement and juggling 3 pick up/drop offs a day, placement, college and work is daunting me. Not to mention housework and 4 children. I have been told i do not apply for the 30 hours childcare because i don't earn enough annually yetvmy husband works long and unsocialble hours and is unable to help me out. I feel lost confused and let down. Trying to do the right thing but no one will help. We're not entitled to tax credits so it's not even like i can quit my job to focus on my studies. Any advice would be appreciated.

PotteringAlong Tue 10-Sep-19 11:47:23

The 15 hours are universal. That’s meant to be early years education. The extra 15 hours, to top up to 30 hours, is childcare if both parents are working over a set number of hours per week.

It’s not the governments fault. You get 15 hours free. You have family help so you are not paying for before and after school club. This is a time limited problem.

Finfintytint Tue 10-Sep-19 11:54:58

Why can’t your husband “help” you out? You are also working unsociable hours.

SMaCM Wed 11-Sep-19 08:57:07

The government are seeing you working 20 hours a week term time and are giving you 15 hours a week term time. What you need to do with the rest of your time is not their concern. Somehow you will need to work it out with your husband and extended family. This is not the government's fault.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »