Talk

Advanced search

Surving after road traffic accident

(2 Posts)
Tinkery1 Fri 30-Aug-19 11:02:32

I was in a car accident two weeks ago. Still haven't had my surgery but I suffered an open fracture to the elbow which will need plastic surgery..I feel so lucky..by the grace of God my children who were also in the car were absolutely fine. Its just me thats a wreck because this is the longest iv spent away from them and I feel like such a waste. Its torture not being with my kids and doing things with them.

Which leads me on to my query. After surgery there will be a slight recovery time. I have accepted I wont be able to return to work for at least 6 weeks (best case scenario!) I want to be able to do as much as possible. I realise I'm very fortunate as I can still walk and use my left arm . I plan to take dd out but will struggle with pushing the stroller so just wondering if anyone knows of disabled friendly strollers for parents
Iv googled and can only find strollers for disabled kids.
I'm also wondering if anyone else has had this experience and what did you do to get to places. We live outside the city, so for me to go to the town centres I would definitely need to via car. Maybe there is a service that drives people with injuries.
Any advice greatly appreciated

PanannyPanoo Fri 30-Aug-19 11:15:52

You can get handles to adapt wheelchairs to be pushed with one hand like this www.easypushbar.com/ It may be possible to fit something similar to your stroller.

There is also this thread that may be helpful www.mumsnet.com/Talk/products/427485-help-me-find-the-easiest-pushchair-to-push-one-handed

Most local authorities have transport schemes available for those who cannot access public transport like dial a ride and Hopper.

However, I also think there is nothing wrong at all with taking some time out of your normal life to heal and rest and absorb what has happened. You may have some unexpected reactions while you process the accident. So don't feel you need to rush back to normal.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »