Talk

Advanced search

Advice welcomed!

(9 Posts)
Appymummy Thu 25-Jul-19 22:33:38

I am a 5 month old (first child) my sister currently watches him once or twice a week whilst I work as I am setting up my own business. I have a small issue as come September she is due her baby and will obviously not be able to help me out.
What have you all done about childcare? Personally, for me, I feel DC is too young for nursery and I just don't feel comfortable leaving DC with just anyone even though they will be qualified to look after them.
Unfortunately I am not able to put the new business on hold, DH has his own business and is the one bringing the money in so cannot ask for him to look after DC!
Any advice/suggestions?!?

nannynick Fri 26-Jul-19 16:47:53

I just don't feel comfortable leaving DC with just anyone even though they will be qualified to look after them.

Can you get to know someone local whom you can learn to be comfortable with? For example maybe finding an evening babysitter who just happens to also be looking for daytime work... so you start with occasional evenings and then once happy with them you suggest the two day job (as a nanny, so you would be their employer).

JoJoSM2 Fri 26-Jul-19 16:59:53

Are you sure you wouldn’t be happy with a nursery? It sounds like you only need very part-time care.

DS went to nursery from 12 weeks nad it’s been great. In the room there are max 6 babies and there’s direct access to the garden. He’s got a key person who’s the one looking after him (but there are 2 other ladies he sees regularly that pick up if the key person isn’t in).

He only goes in for the morning and really enjoys himself. Admittedly, I’d still not want to send him for full days (he’s 1 now).

The advantages of a good nursery are an appropriate, well-designed space, good toys, qualified staff, varied cooked food and the fact they’re always there. Staff ratios for babies are max 1:3.

Your other options could be nanny. She’s look after your LO on your terms (eg baby group or classes etc) and could work whether the baby is sick or not. Downside is the high cost.

You can also consider a childminder. They generally look after a mix of ages, do frequent outings and tend to be affordable. You might feel like your child gets dragged to things that aren’t suitable for them or to school drop offs or picks ups.

Appymummy Fri 26-Jul-19 21:36:42

Thanks both, maybe I should consider looking around at some nurseries and write down the pros and cons smile
Same with child minder and nanny! It's so difficult!

CallMeRachel Fri 26-Jul-19 21:39:49

Ratio for babies in nursery is 3-1, equivalent of you having triplets to care for every day.

I'd either look for a registered childminder or a nanny to help you out.

PotteringAlong Fri 26-Jul-19 21:41:53

Well you can’t have it every which way. If you’re not happy leaving them with someone else because they’re too young then don’t work.

All 3 of mine went / go to nursery. They’re fine.

itsaboojum Sat 27-Jul-19 08:41:58

You do need to consider how each individual setting manages its numbers.

Childminders are only allowed just one baby, but the by can be one of three under-fives all day, or one of six under-eights outside school times.

You cannot assume nurseries run a 1:3 ratio of staff working with babies. They can assess staff:child ratios across the entire building. It is not uncommon to find nursery staff complaining they’ve been left alone to deal with a room full of babies.

As for qualifications, up to 50% of staff in a nursery are not required to hold even a level 2 qualification (roughly gcse equivalent) and the same can work with babies without baby-specific training. Only the room leader has to have relevant experience. Childminders just do a course deemed appropriate by Ofsted and their local authority. Whilst many childcare providers will hold more and higher qualifications, you really do have to ask. That’s assuming this is important to you: there is scant evidence for qualifications having much lasting impact on children’s experiences and future prospects.

Tbh it does sound from your initial post that you’re narrow your options to virtually nothing. All I can think of is to manage your business in a way that allows you to work from home, and have a nanny there with you. Or the extreme option of nanny plus nanny-cam, which is far Fromm ideal.

JoJoSM2 Sat 27-Jul-19 08:46:40

@CallMeRachel Have you ever been to a nursery?

A nursery is absolutely nothing like looking after triplets. The babies spend the time in a safe purpose designed space. No plug sockets etc so they can roam freely. The nursery nurse looking after them doesn’t cook, wash up, clean, try to sort anything out. The kitchen staff bring food in and take dirty plates away. The big tidy up happens when children have gone home. Obviously, nursery nurses change babies but don’t wash or sort anything. They are able to give the babies a lot of time and attention. No TV to put children in front of and with it being a structured work environment, the staff have their phones put away etc.

OP, I think it’s well worth checking nurseries out. I was reluctant at first but when I saw DS’s nursery, I knew that would be the right choice. The baby rooms are small - only up to 6 children/room and it’s lovely. The nurses really get to know the babies well as they’ve been excellent at monitoring progress and encouraging development.

Obviously, it’s about finding the right nursery as I also saw some with up to 30 babies in a giant room, dirty and generally horrid.

CallMeRachel Sat 27-Jul-19 12:56:50

Yes I have @JoJoSM2 thank you hmm

Your nursery sounds unique as that's certainly not the norm from the nursery rooms I've seen.

All nursery's are managed and run differently. It's down to personal choice at the end of the day.

Personally I'd prefer a more one on one nurturing care in a home environment, I'm allowed to make that choice.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »