Talk

Advanced search

Minimum number of childcare hours per week

(7 Posts)
NicciLovesSundays Mon 03-Jun-19 09:59:59

Hi All

Just wondering if you can share what the minimum number of childcare hours are per week in your setting to help me explore my options....?

Im due my first child in September. Im currently not working but hoping to continue with some voluntary work during baby's first year.

I dont have family closeby who can help with childcare. Hubby's work is generally quite flexible but there might be sometimes when it is tricky and it might make more sense to arrange for other childcare. This would help me have some time for me to be able to explore other things and help me keep my options open when it comes to going back to work.

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat Mon 03-Jun-19 12:02:26

I have a minimum of two sessions.

NicciLovesSundays Mon 03-Jun-19 14:55:23

@georgiethegorgeousgoat are sessions usually one morning or afternoon?

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat Mon 03-Jun-19 15:00:21

I’m a childminder so not as rigid as morning or afternoon, it tends to depend on what families need and what I have available but I would say 5 hours+. So 10 hours minimum across the week.

Apple40 Mon 03-Jun-19 16:26:02

I am a childminder and have a minimum of 8 hours a day policy starting at 8am, as I go straight out following school run. For this reason I also no longer offer half days as I found it too restricted and
Stressful having to rush back home so someone can arrive or leave. From September I will be increasing to a minimum of 2 days a week as well. This is purely because the amount of paperwork is the same for someone who comes all week to a 1 day child. All childminders work differently some do not go out and about so happy to accept half days etc. You can find your local childminders via your local authority and also on childcare.co.uk, if you contact a few you will be able to better plan.

nannynick Tue 04-Jun-19 06:02:11

As a nanny I will do one day per week, so 10-12 hours.

Spanneroo Tue 04-Jun-19 06:17:30

We used a childminder and she was great at being very flexible. She had a child to collect from nursery in the middle of the day every day, so she was happy to do half days. She was really good with flexibility generally, actually. If you interview a few, you'll be able to ask these questions and see if anyone you like can work to a flexible schedule that suits you.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »