Talk

Advanced search

What do people do with teens in the holidays?

(7 Posts)
maindoors Fri 31-May-19 18:05:14

Looking for ideas for the summer holidays for my 13 year old daughter who is highly unlikely to agree to going to any kind of organised holiday activity club...even if I could find anything. My husband and I both work, me p/t 3 days and he full time. We used to manage the holidays by both doing some work from home and could cover the week between us and we could be around, if not looking after our daughter, who is reasonably self sufficient now but his new employer not so keen on him wfh...despite having made positive noises about being flexible at interview. I can find plenty of activities and holiday childcare for my 8 year old but there is very little for older kids who you still wouldn't want (or be allowed... what is the legal limit for leaving kids alone?) to leave on their own all day. Made me wonder what do others do? They will be off to Grandpas for one week and we will holiday for 2 more but that still leaves us with 5 weeks!!! All suggestions gratefully received...smile

Pythonesque Fri 31-May-19 18:47:08

What have you got by way of local museums, fitness centres, libraries? I've heard of teens volunteering in libraries to help with the summer reading challenge for instance. It may be that you need to help her construct a framework for occupying some of her time usefully. Is there anything she could go to from where you work, for variety? Any chance of her volunteering to help with activities that you want to send your 8 yr old to? Our local church always runs a holiday club at the end of the summer for a few days; 12 is about the age when they switch from attending to helping.

I was about that age when my younger sister and I were able to go into town, spend a few days in the museum doing activity booklets they ran, or go busking then read in the park or go to the cinema. I guess that we were together helped (and I agree 8 is a bit young for yours to free range together just yet). Does your daughter have any friends that might make a reasonably responsible pair or group yet?

mrsm43s Fri 31-May-19 18:57:08

It's only 3 days a week, yes? And I you and DH will have 2 weeks off for summer holiday, plus 1 week at Grandpa's. I'd allow a 13 year old to be at home for some (most) of the days. Plus a few arranged meet ups with friends, plus perhaps you or DH use a bit more annual leave to break it up a bit.

I have a 13 and 14 year old, and I'm only out of the house working for 2 days a week, and they do a mixture of grandparents, meeting up with friends or being home alone. I wouldn't want them at home alone 5 days a week for weeks on end, but a couple of days a week for a few weeks of the holidays they will be fine.

Are you near to a local leisure centre/gym that she can have membership to to break up her days a bit?

Blondeshavemorefun Sat 01-Jun-19 13:35:47

As an 8yr as well I prob would get a temp nanny so someone about to take her to places if need be

Or if go out with 8yr then nanny be around for few hours each day so teenager isn’t alone

Petalflowers Sat 01-Jun-19 13:38:41

Mine stayed at home by themselves.

AppropriateAdult Sat 01-Jun-19 13:44:51

For three days a week I'd leave her at home, presuming she's reasonably responsible and is happy with the arrangement herself. I would have railed against any sort of 'childcare' being organised for me at that age. You could work out a loose itinerary with her each day, so she's not just hanging around feeling bored, and she can check in with you by text at regular intervals. And maybe see if there's a neighbour at home during the day who she can go to if she needs help? I think that should be fine for the average 13yo, if she's anything like I was she'll bask in the freedom and sense of responsibility smile

Lazypuppy Wed 05-Jun-19 19:49:24

At 13 i'd leave her at home for the 3 days.

Like others have said tey and get her to plan a few things with friends to get her up and out

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »