Advanced search

Childcare costs

(8 Posts)
helloandthankyou Thu 16-May-19 19:53:03

Hi all,

Aware that this is a big issue for everyone who has children and that I am a beginner at this so please excuse my ignorance on the subject.

I am due back to work on the 10th August 2019 and my daily wage is £72. I spend £12 a day on petrol and spend 3 hours in the car for my commute there and back. Childcare in my area is £75 a day.

Obviously this is not going to work!! I can’t work from home as I’m a photographer. Can anyone tell me whether I can get help with childcare? Or should I just pack that in and get a job close by to home?


GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat Thu 16-May-19 20:25:39

Look at the childcare choices website, it will talk you through all the different schemes.

itwasalovelydreamwhileitlasted Thu 16-May-19 20:29:06

I would look at Childminder's - we realised that there was no way we could afford Nursery full time (looking back now I realise how naive I was about the cost of childcare!) - Childminder's in our area are 1/3 cheaper than nurseries and much more flexible when it comes to drop off/pick up times

Mumof1andacat Thu 16-May-19 20:34:20

£12 a day on petrol! I would be looking at reducing this too

NerrSnerr Thu 16-May-19 20:36:05

Do you have a partner? Their finances will be taken into account for any support you'd get if so.

Apple40 Thu 16-May-19 22:50:47

Hi, you may be eligible for tax free childcare this is where the government gives you £2 for every £8 you pay in to help towards childcare. Sadly the childcare vouchers closed to all new clients October last year.
Childminders in general are slightly cheaper than Nursery’s some charge for the full day no matter what hours you want, others charge by the hour. When you start to look into childcare find out what is included in the cost, are meals , nappies etc what do you need to provide, what are there early drop off or late collection fees. Sickness policy etc. Childminders like nursery will still charge you In full if your child is off sick, on holiday etc and most do. To charge if they are sick or on holiday but would be best to check this too.

INeedNewShoes Thu 16-May-19 22:57:05

I would have thought you'll be eligible for child tax credits or universal credit towards your childcare costs but that depends on what your annual income will be.

I am self employed and some days I don't quite earn as much as DD's nursery fees so I understand the problem. I take the view that although we'd be no worse off financially if I didn't work and DD didn't go to childcare that this is an investment in my career and once DD is at school or at least we get the 30 free hours at 3, it will start being profitable me working. Until then I'll grin and bear it but it's certainly not ideal.

Lazypuppy Fri 17-May-19 08:21:51

What about your partner? You're only responsible for half the childcare costs don't forget.

Tax free childcare reduces the bill by 20%if both parents are working

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »