Talk

Advanced search

Warning re grandparents earning NI credits for their state pension

(6 Posts)
Suze1621 Mon 09-Sep-19 14:21:33

JJLSS You would only transfer your NI credits when you don't need them due to paying NI contributions through work.

Blondiecub0109 Sat 13-Jul-19 20:32:08

As others has said you should be ‘claiming’ child benefit then ticking the box to say you don’t want it paid, both for NI credits and to get your child an NI number automatically without hassle when they approach 16 y.o.

JJLSS Sat 13-Jul-19 20:29:15

I'm in a very similar situation to the OP but can I just clarify what this would mean if I transfer my national insurance credit to my DM? Potentially might it be that in the future I end up being short of credits for a state pension?
I'm not being selfish but just want to be clear on the implications.

Angeldust747 Mon 13-May-19 12:00:20

The same goes for you too, claiming child benefit (whether or not you take the money) means you get NI contributions if you are on maternity leave/ a SAHM

dementedpixie Fri 10-May-19 16:43:41

If you are between £50-£60k then you don't pay it all back. It's only when you reach £60k that it all needs repaid (or you claim and opt out of payment)

Milkn0sugar Fri 10-May-19 15:51:06

I've never bothered claiming child benefit for either of my DC because we'd have to pay it straight back in tax because my DH's salary is over £50K. My retired DM (62) kindly looked after DD1 for two days a week for c12 months while I worked before going on maternity leave with DD2 at the end of last year. DM could have been claiming national insurance credits for this period which would have contributed towards the 35 years she needs to earn a full state pension by the state retirement age. However because I wasn't claiming - and then rejecting - child benefit at the time, she can't now claim for that year. Going forward, I'm going to make a child benefit claim then choose not to be paid it. This at least means that I'm in the system and DM can claim NI credits when she kindly helps me with some childcare for DD2 in the new year when I return to work. Just thought I'd let others know really, in case they hadn't thought about it already.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »