Talk

Advanced search

how to manage paying for childcare

(13 Posts)
kathe123 Thu 19-Jul-18 19:39:13

I haven't been working for last 4 years. Now my younger will start school and I managed to find work. The only problem is how to afford paying childcare. I won't usually need it during school time but I will have to start work from Augst and one day childcare cost £45- 50 per day. Times 2 children. I will work 25 hours a week/ 5 days. So the childcare will cost me £500 a week. When I called HMRC hey say they will add all yearly childcare cost up and divide it for 52 weeks. It would be great if I started work in September it could sum up and I would be able save money for school break time, but now it looks like they will give me £ 100 weekly. I will make about 160 a week. Fer month all my income will be £2200 where I will need £2000 for childcare. How to manage it? I am kind of scare leave 4 & 6 years old home alone and I have to go back to work. I have no one to ask to babysitt. Ugh sooo down

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat Thu 19-Jul-18 19:44:26

Where are you looking/living that costs £10/hour?

kathe123 Thu 19-Jul-18 22:14:20

it cost £6 per hour if I take childminder near my place she charges £6 per hour. 7.5*6 (I need 1.5 hour to get to work and come back home) = £45 or I can book day at camp which is £49. I live outside London.

BikeRunSki Thu 19-Jul-18 22:17:57

I’m sorry, but that is what childcare costs. You won’t be the first or last parent to realise that childcare often costs more than your salary.

Waitinforaflamin Thu 19-Jul-18 22:24:18

Childcare is expensive. Period. It sucks and a lot of people break even or run at a loss because of it. And loads just can’t even work because they can’t afford to.

As for leaving your 4 and 6 year old home alone... I hope you are not serious?!?!

pumpkintree Sat 21-Jul-18 10:41:55

can you work fulltime. if they need all day care anyway you couldtry increase your hours to grt more pay . also 1.5 houts travel is crazy. in your situation

kathe123 Sat 21-Jul-18 13:51:47

if I work full time I will make only £100 per month more as then my benefits will be cut completely. So all day at work, kids always at daycare, it's not worth. I was forced to resign from the job before it even started. £200 what would be left after paying child care wouldn't be enough for rent, food, clothes. Prefer to have roof over my head than work.

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat Sat 21-Jul-18 13:56:26

shock

SnuggyBuggy Sat 21-Jul-18 14:24:51

If you don't have family who will do it for free it can be difficult. It doesn't help that the job centre make you apply for jobs so far away. Is there any possibility of finding local work

JustHereForThePooStories Sat 21-Jul-18 14:31:41

So you’re starting work in August, and won’t need childcare in September once both kids are at school? Sounds like it’ll be a tight month but you’ll need to budget across subsequent months to ensure you have money saved to cover other school breaks.

How about their father- what is he providing?

RandomMess Sat 21-Jul-18 14:51:53

Can you not delay start date for a couple of weeks so not going to childcare for the whole month?

jannier Mon 23-Jul-18 09:00:21

I would claim the full cost now and then in September put a new amount in fro the average over September to August making sure you put it into a separate no touch account or pay it to the childminder monthly, as most want payment in advance and a half term is 6 weeks that should sort it. Don't forget school is shut for 14 weeks and often reception start is delayed ....and don't forget to amend your claim.

LG123 Sun 12-Aug-18 02:53:17

Childcare £500 a week for 2!? Crikey! Mine is only going to be £175 a week for 1 child when I go back to work... even without a sibling discount that's still a lot less than what you're coming out with.

If you can claim Universal Credit then they will pay £1108 per month towards your childcare which is considerably more than you have said they are offering.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: