Talk

Advanced search

Tax Free Childcare/30 Hours Free Eligibility

(6 Posts)
Mel91x Tue 13-Mar-18 16:39:52

Hey,
I’m hoping someone here can help me.
I have been using the tax free childcare scheme for my little boy going to nursery. He was born on 18 May 2015.
Recently (February), I received a secure message in my government account mailbox stating that my son is now eligible for 30 hours free childcare and have provided him with his unique code. However, he’s not Three until 18th May 2018 so I’m confused as to why I’ve been given this now?

I phoned and spoke with Childcare services who reassured me it is correct as he just falls within some kind of age bracket. I then phoned him my sons nursery with this information and they are adamant he does not receive this until the first term after his 3rd birthday (September), so I’m now at a complete loss!

Who’s right? Who’s wrong? Are childcare services just trying to fob me off on the phone? The reason I’m asking now is because since receiving this eligibility email my tax-free child care scheme no longer works! Whenever I try and top up the account, I receive £0 from the government! angry

Someone please help.
Many thanks,

Mel

MyDcAreMarvel Tue 13-Mar-18 16:41:19

The code is given in advance of your son being eligeable. You can given it to your childcare provider but it won't apply until September. Remember to renew in three months.

MyDcAreMarvel Tue 13-Mar-18 16:41:57

Also you can use 30 free hours and tax free childcare together.

Mel91x Tue 13-Mar-18 17:02:00

Thankyou, I thought this was the case also. So it would be a case of calling back up childcare services and being adamant that my son is not eligible for 30 hours free childcare and for them to sort out my account. As it’s not topping up whenever I put in the money for the tax free childcare, it’s becoming very stressful for me all this. sad

Isittimeforbed Tue 13-Mar-18 17:07:59

Are you up to date with revalidating your eligibility? Mine stopped topping up from the government when that had lapsed because of a confusion with dates.

Mel91x Wed 14-Mar-18 23:50:20

Quick update - called them another 3 Times today. First guy told me I was eligible for 30 hours free childcare (I’m not). Second guy told me it was because I ticked the “I claim Tax credits” checkbox on the online form when reconfirming my details every 3 months (I didn’t). Finally, spoke to someone who knew what they were talking about, kind of. Try confirmed, FINALLY, that it was their error and should never have sent the 30 hours free code and this was what was causing the issue. Anyway, they’ve told me to withdraw the money I had originally deposited back into my bank account and to pay my nursery in full this month but have provided me with a link to claim back compensation - I have completed the form in full just now and will be posting it tomorrow 1st class, so not all doom and gloom.

Just wanted to get across that their advisors are the worse, and literally have no idea what they’re talking about. So if they tell you one thing, don’t just swallow and accept it like I did the first time.

Thanks

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: