Talk

Advanced search

Summer Holidays ...worrying already!

(13 Posts)
Pigsinablanket Tue 13-Feb-18 21:33:43

Hi folks....wondering what people do over the summer hols.... I have 3 children ages 6 7 and 2.
This is our first year of trying to organise childcare for the summer months, the first four years of having kids we had a childminder, the past 3 years we ve had au pairs.
I can't really face the prospect of trying to find another au pair especially if it's only for 2 months but wonder if this is what I need to do?
Im fortunate enough to only work 30 hours spread over 2.5 days a week we don't have family or friends who could help , and wouldn't really expect this anyway!
Was thinking of putting an ad up in the local technical college to see if a student would consider this type of work ...what am I missing here, what are my other options ? could this be a great solution to our needs? Thanks in advance for any advice .

Makingworkwork Tue 13-Feb-18 21:34:56

Summer clubs for the older ones and your regular childcare for the 2 year old.

Pigsinablanket Tue 13-Feb-18 21:42:35

Most clubs around here start at 9 and for this age group tend to finish at lunchtime .we are both leave for work at 8 am so would be tricky to make that work

nannynick Tue 13-Feb-18 21:47:40

You may well be able to find a student who is able to help. You many find an experienced nanny who works term-time for a family and thus is available during the school holidays.

pigshavecurlytails Tue 13-Feb-18 21:51:51

clubs often allow you to buy earlier hours, usually at a much higher hourly rate though.

WipsGlitter Tue 13-Feb-18 21:54:23

Yeah, lots of clubs have wary drop off. I find a spreadsheet useful!

Pigsinablanket Tue 13-Feb-18 22:50:11

Hi nanny nick , that sounds like a great idea... where would I look to find someone like this ? Live in N Ireland and the option for buying an early start to the clubs hasn't reached us yet!
Love your user name pigshavecurlytails

insancerre Wed 14-Feb-18 06:30:07

You could contact your local colleges or uni
They often have online jobs sites for the students

lalaloopyhead Wed 14-Feb-18 06:37:05

Some nurseries do holiday care, we have a couple near us that take up to 10 year olds. My youngest went to one a couple of years ago and they did a whole range of activities for the older ones. It is relatively expensive but with that and a combination of our annual leave we managed it.

We use a childminder now, we are lucky to know one who offers flexible days over holidays only.

WipsGlitter Wed 14-Feb-18 07:21:00

Whereabouts in NI are you? I'm in Belfast and loads of the clubs offer early drop off and late collection confused

Pigsinablanket Wed 14-Feb-18 14:01:36

lucky you wisps, rural fermanagh here

nannynick Wed 14-Feb-18 14:58:09

Alas looking at my nanny data, nannies tend to be working near Belfast, Amagh and Newry. The more rural you are the harder if may be to find someone but you won't know until you try. How are local jobs advertised? I have found in rural areas that there can be a local convenience store which is used by locals in surrounding villages and the store had a local jobs notice board. Is there a local Facebook group? Think local... there may be someone near you who is working in a school during term time and is looking for work during school holidays - they may have never considered being a nanny but they may get on well with children and be perfectly capable of caring for three children aged 6-12.

Pigsinablanket Sat 24-Feb-18 18:54:37

thanks nanny nick, I took your advice and put up an ad in the local shop. Ive met a lovely lady through this, whos kids are grown up who is going to help us out! Panic over, really appreciate the words of wisdom !

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: