Talk

Advanced search

Need advice on going full time in work!!

(8 Posts)
Taxiderminator Mon 12-Feb-18 13:12:42

Hello all,

I would be so grateful for any advice on this matter as I'm at somewhat of a junction in my life and I need help!

DS is 7 and a half. I have been a single parent working part time within school hours for most of his life. I recently got married and have been living with DH for over a year.

I've never had to deal with childcare etc since nursery as I have been fortunate enough to find work within school hours. I do not have any family that can help with childcare as I live a while away from them all. Now I was made redundant in December and have been looking for part time work again but there is not much around.

I'm starting to think I could/should be looking at working full time now DS is older, but there is only 1 childminder who does school drop offs and pick ups to DS's school and they are full. I live around 20-30 minutes drive from DS's school.

It's just sort of looking hopeless to me now and I'm wondering if I'm missing something? How do people manage to work full time with children!?

I feel awful that DH is bringing in 100% of the income at the moment, and even with part time work he will be contributing the majority. We want to buy a house soon ish as we have a deposit but I feel like I'm trapped in a part time/low income cycle.

Does anyone have any experience of making this transition?

DomesticAnarchist Mon 12-Feb-18 13:14:59

Most schools have breakfast and after school clubs - try asking the school if they have any suggestions.

Taxiderminator Mon 12-Feb-18 13:27:10

DS's school has after school clubs only 3 days a week, and they are all subject orientated eg Sports Club or Homework Club. They are regularly cancelled or dropped on a day's notice.

Breakfast club is fine but nothing for after school that is reliable.

jannier Mon 12-Feb-18 14:36:07

If childminders are in such short supply could you look into becoming one or starting an after school club?

Taxiderminator Tue 13-Feb-18 09:43:00

Well that's something I never thought of! Is it not fairly lengthy a qualification to become a child minder?

jannier Tue 13-Feb-18 10:02:26

Your local families information will be able to give you local advice.

ReturnfromtheStars Tue 13-Feb-18 18:33:48

Would changing schools be an option? Your DS is still young to settle quick.

MaverickSnoopy Tue 13-Feb-18 18:51:42

Becoming a childminder isn't as onerous as you would think. Look on your local council website as a starting point. Basically you need to do certain childcare training, first aid, dbs, safeguarding and food hygiene. You need to make sure your house is safe and you have activities but that's the main parts of it. Have a look, it's all very feasible. First of all try to find out if there is demand in your area, sounds like there might be. Oh and check your deeds. Ours has a convenant which says no business (complex area that I'm still trying to work out but just requires digging and figuring out, rather than a blanket you can't do it). Oh and you need to register as self employed.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: