Talk

Advanced search

MNHQ here - babysitting apps and websites

(19 Posts)
BojanaMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 11-Jan-18 17:29:59

Hello,

We’ve had a press request from a broadsheet about babysitting apps and websites which do not vet the claims made by babysitters on their websites, including claims about experience or qualifications. So we’d like to know what you think about this - whose responsibility should it be to check on such claims? Have you ever used a babysitting app or website?

Thanks
MNHQ

FrostyThirties0 Thu 11-Jan-18 17:36:17

Are we using the term ‘babysitter’ to indeed mean a babysitter, or a catch all term to (incorrectly) include childminders and nannies?

LalalaLeah Thu 11-Jan-18 17:36:37

I've used sitters.co.uk
I felt secure that the babysitters' previous numbers of jobs for the company were shown on the site together with what I hope were true reviews

Onceuponatimethen Thu 11-Jan-18 18:02:05

Yes used one, can’t remember which. Appeared to have loads of potential people in my area but think at least some of the profiles were inactive - messaged a few and got no replies. This was about three years ago.

SilkyDrawers Thu 11-Jan-18 19:14:04

Sitters.co.uk only has reviews from parents, not the sitters themselves - so I don’t see how this would be a problem.

TBH I’m not too concerned about qualifications on paper, if they’ve been doing a good job and have lots of positive reviews that satisfies me, and I then use my own judgement when they come to my house and we meet for the first time. Worth noting I’ve never had a dud yet (except one who wore v pongy perfume) grin

MissJaySays Thu 11-Jan-18 19:29:14

From the other side of this, I am on childcare.co.uk as a babysitter. I have always brought my dbs certificate, paediatric first aid certificate, Level 3 and my degree certificate for parents to see.
I had one parent once who, when I offered to bring along all my certificates for her to see, she declined and said no it's fine. She didn't want to meet me beforehand and was happy for me to turn up and look after her child who happened to have some very complex and very specific additional needs.
I didn't end up babysitting for her because it all felt so wrong. What parent wouldn't want to check I'm legit!?

Frusso Thu 11-Jan-18 19:49:02

I've never managed to find a babysitter on the sites, most are years out of date (inactive) and the sites always require money for you to contact the sitters. I've found getting a sitter easier by using a nanny agency.
Qualifications wise; dbs and first aid I ask to see the certificates irrespective of whether the company/the website says they have them. Because that is my responsibility.

Marcine Thu 11-Jan-18 20:10:57

I think Sitters are more of an agency, so they should be checking qualifications, doing dbs checks.

Sites like childcare. co.uk are just providing the introduction, like Gumtree or Facebook - totally up to the employer to then do checks and references.

Batteredfish Thu 11-Jan-18 20:14:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

dlnex Thu 11-Jan-18 21:46:17

I have used Sitters in the past when DD younger.All staff have been good, but DD not much of a challenge! As a company think they were in around pre-internet.

Looneytune253 Fri 12-Jan-18 07:46:13

I think it’s parents responsibility at the end of the day but the app people should investigate claims by parents straight away and blacklist babysitters if they’re using wrong claims.

SingingSeuss Fri 12-Jan-18 11:01:46

I would never trust an online system to provide babysitters. I trust my parents, parents in law and one or two close friends.

NeverUseThisName Fri 12-Jan-18 11:47:59

I would not touch them with a barge pole. I would only use a babysitting service with a clear and reliable vetting process.

I would, in any case, prefer to employ someone I know, or who has been recommended to me by a friend. Personal knowledge and gut feelings by far over-rule a stranger's documentation.

happyinthehaze Sat 13-Jan-18 09:08:03

I’m a single mum. Ex lives miles away and unable to offer any childcare midweek. I currently work 4 days but 2 of these are from home so my kids only go to childminders 2 day’s and it’s all pretty easy.
A great job had come up. Would mean more money and a chance to get back into my career which has taken a step back when kids were little. They are now 8&11.
The only down side is it states that travel including overnights would be expected on average twice a month. I don’t have relatives near who can help out.
My question is what childcare options would cover this? How would I find someone if it’s not a regular requirement- more as and when needed? Any advise would be much appreciated.

missjaysays Sat 13-Jan-18 15:48:38

@happyinthehaze you need to start a separate thread

nannynick Sat 13-Jan-18 15:50:13

Happyinthehaze, you are best starting a new message thread as this particular discussion is a thread by MNHQ for feedback about Babysitting Apps & Websites. Start a new thread in Childcare Options.
To answer your question, overnight care is very hard to find. Some childminders will offer it, so ask your existing childminder. Some nannies and babysitters will do overnight. The problem is often the timing of the following morning, as many people have a daytime job to get to so may be able to do till 7am but might not be able to do much later than that. The various babysitting apps and websites might be a way to find someone.

anniefox Thu 18-Jan-18 17:00:46

Bubble app is indeed great!
Use referral code CBKNT for £10 off your first booking!

SafeCircle Sun 25-Feb-18 20:28:44

This thread is very interesting to see so many views. It is good to see that a lot of parents take it serious when choosing their babysitters, however I would be careful with some apps and agencies as they state that they are vetting their sitters however for many this only happens at the point of their application and they are never re-checked!! That means some babysitters have been working for agencies such as Sitters.co.uk without any further police checks at all.

The other thing to be careful of is some agencies do no face to face interviews at all. If you are looking for an agency to complete the checks for you before booking a babysitter please check how they interview and ensure they complete reviews of police checks and other qualification not just feedback. A good agency will have this information clearly displayed on their website without the need for you to ask for this.

Tolade Mon 26-Feb-18 11:04:41

Good afternoon mums,

I will go straight forward to the reason I registered this platform,I am a student of Business course at Trent college,Nottingham and we are requested to write a report about a product of our own idea which could be tangible or intangible (service) that could meet the needs of particular market target(family,mothers,single,working) Further more I have questionaires for mums.
I would really appreciate it to know where I can meet mother’s in groups so I can distribute the questionnaire which would just be 3 questions and you are free to give recommendations or suggestions.
I would kindly appreciate your responses,

Kind regards,
Tola

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: