Talk

Advanced search

Hourly rate advice!

(5 Posts)
blossombottom Sun 19-Nov-17 12:01:17

Hi all,

My cousin is between jobs and is going to look after our DS (10 months) while I return to work in Dec. This arrangement will probably only continue until she has built up clients for her new business, so it's a stop gap for us both.

What do you think is a fair hourly wage? My feelings are between £8 and £10.

Any experience or opinions gratefully received.

BB

jannier Sun 19-Nov-17 16:40:28

That's a hard one a registered insured child-minder with first aid and qualifications using their own home and craft materials providing food etc and outings would charge between £4 and a max of £8 depending on where you live and you could claim tax credits or use vouchers. Potentially saving you up to 70% of the cost.

nannynick Sun 19-Nov-17 19:26:59

As a nanny, your cousin could come to your home to care for your DS and you could pay in that region as it is over NMW. If it is a fair rate or not for a nanny is hard to know without knowing location, it would be reasonable in a non-city location and probably outside of the South East.

nannynick Sun 19-Nov-17 19:31:07

You don't say how many days per week, how many hours, so it's hard to know what the going rate would be. The important thing though is that the amount is suitable for you and suitable for them... it does not really matter what the going rate is, you pay what you feel it is worth to have your cousin care for your DS.

Depending on the salary offered, you will need to look at payroll: Income Tax, National Insurance, Employers National Insurance.
Guide sheet: drive.google.com/open?id=0B35WGBXNi2E2WTJCRkZTRHdmRkE

blossombottom Sun 19-Nov-17 20:01:30

Thanks all, this is all useful feedback.

The PP who says it's about what feels comfortable for both parties is absolutely right - we don't want her doing it and feeling she is being taken advantage of and likewise we don't want to feel we are being tight OR spending more than we are comfortable with. I think we've found a happy medium.

We're in the Home Counties and it's looking like it'll be two days a week. A childminder is the cheaper option but not the right thing for DS or us yet, and we want the flexibility to chop and change hours and days from week to week - as will she as her work picks up.

Thanks again,

BB

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now