Talk

Advanced search

Childcare idea

(10 Posts)
SciFiFan2015 Mon 13-Nov-17 17:08:04

Hi All,

When I was in 5th and 6th year at school I provided after school care (and holiday care) for three boys. It worked really well. They lived close to the school. I would get there first, then make snacks and we’d all do homework together (we all went to the same school) I even took the boys to a Star Trek convention in a town an hour away.

DH and I are having some logistical challenges and I thought I’d ask our local high school if they’d have a suitable 5th or 6th year who might like a similar type job.

I did this 20+ years ago (though it seems like yesterday) school advertised, then took in CVs and there was an interview.

Would it work now? What would I have to think about? I’d probably still send DS and DD to after school and have the senior pupil collect them from there before coming home. I could save money on after school but want to offer the right amount for the SP and make sure I get everything else right too! It be for about 4 hours a week (2x2 hour slots) 4pm - 6pm which would include the time picking them up and bringing home.

Am I mad or is this a solution?

MyOtherProfile Mon 13-Nov-17 17:09:18

What do you mean by a 5th or 6th year? Presumably not a 10 or 11 year old?

SciFiFan2015 Mon 13-Nov-17 17:22:20

Ah. Scottish schools. S5 or S6. So ages 16,17,18

MrsJamin Mon 13-Nov-17 17:25:09

I know people who do this. But you have to choose the right teenager, many won't be mature enough to take the responsibility seriously. Older children of friends is a good place to start.

SciFiFan2015 Mon 13-Nov-17 17:29:43

Don’t have any older children of friends. 😐 eldest is the oldest in our group! So perhaps a future money spinner for him! grin

I’ll interview and maybe even take up references? That’s what happened when I did it...all those years ago!

AgainReally Mon 13-Nov-17 17:41:21

I think it’s a good idea. I’d try them out as daytime extra set of hands at the weekend then baby sitting I think.

SciFiFan2015 Mon 13-Nov-17 17:56:03

Ooo that’s a good idea AgainReally. Might just do that.
Our kids need more time at home IYSWIM and we need flexibility to allow for winter commuting nightmares.
I’d love more ideas and suggestions - including how much to pay. Was thinking £5ph and what about tax and NI?
When I was in S5 and S6 it was the perfect role for me. I got paid for eating, watching TV and doing my homework. The boys were awesome and just needed an older person around. I got on really well with the parents too.

SciFiFan2015 Tue 14-Nov-17 14:56:38

I’ve found a lovely S6 year girl. I know her Mum (former school nurse) lives locally so would be heading home in our direction anyway.
Just giving this a wee bump with my comment to capture any other ideas.

Sienna333 Tue 14-Nov-17 19:21:20

I wouldn't employ a 16 year old. Maybe 18 but they would have to be very mature.

AgainReally Tue 14-Nov-17 20:50:29

I think you’d be fine cash in hand for baby sitting. How old are your two? Would you need to update school to let them know who is collecting them? Hopefully no issue with an under 18 picking up from after school club.

I think time at home is great if you can juggle it, children are less tired I think. I’ve done various different options but taken home to flop is the one the children seem to like best.

You could do easy dinner on those days so they are fed before you get in, top up supper before bed.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: