Talk

Advanced search

Freelance worker - is there a solution for childcare?

(3 Posts)
childcarestruggle Wed 08-Nov-17 14:44:22

I'm thinking of going back to work on a freelance basis next year. I work in the media industry and contracts are not likely to be regular. I could work 3 months then nothing for 2, then work for 1 month etc.

I've enquired locally and no nursery will take on children ad hoc. Neither will childminders or nannies. I've been told a solution is a nanny share (which is too expensive for us) or to have a bank of childminders to rely on. I don't know if there are any childminders who'd take on ad hoc and I don't really want my DS being sent to different people as it could be unsettling for him.

Is there any solution to this? Is there such thing as an ad hoc nursery?! I'd gladly use one.

Bamaluz Wed 08-Nov-17 15:02:52

The trouble is childminders and nurseries have to stick to ratios, which means they can't just take an extra child whenever you need a day.
You could try to find a childminder that doesn't usually fill her spaces so will have an ad hoc vacancy. I would have a look at your local family information service website for a list of local childminders, and e-mail everyone in your area to see if anyone would be willing to do this.
Another option is to look into an emergency nanny agency, but I don't know how expensive that would be.

ninjapants Wed 08-Nov-17 15:12:01

I work shifts so have an ad hoc arrangement with our childminder where I pay a.set amount per month then use, or lose, the hours. My work is on going though so unless I'm on holiday from work, I actually need the hours. Could you consider an arrangement like this?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: