Talk

Advanced search

How will leaving my job affect my sons 15 free hours childcare?

(11 Posts)
GiveMeStrengh Tue 07-Nov-17 15:21:18

I have one week left of my notice at work and a colleague asked today if I would have to start paying for my sons nursery once I've left. I realised I had absolutely no idea whether I would or not! I was under the assumption that I got the free hours because I was on a low income (didn't even know anything about free childcare until the letter came through my door saying I was entitled to it) so if I were on no income at all wouldn't that mean I'm even more entitled? I may be completely wrong but I cannot find anywhere online that will give me a straight answer!
All I want to know is yes or no - will I still receive the free hours. It doesn't matter to me either way as I would happily start paying because my son loves nursery and I wouldn't take that away from him just because I'm not working anymore.
I just want to know sooner rather than later so I can make changes with the nursery if needed and not affect my sons place there.

user1493413286 Tue 07-Nov-17 15:27:53

It’s hard for anyone to answer this for definite without knowing your sons age and your income, so I’d speak directly to the nursery.
All children at age 3 get the free hours and some do at age 2 if parents get under a certain income or are on certain benefits.

LIZS Tue 07-Nov-17 15:33:47

How old is he? In England 15 hours funding is available to all 3 and 4 year olds. The extra 15 hours and funding for 2 year olds is more limited and dependent on circumstances.

GiveMeStrengh Tue 07-Nov-17 15:48:50

Sorry, yeah my son is 2.5years old, Three in May. That's why I'm asking because I know the hours are for everyone when 3 but he's not quite their yet and I don't want him kicked out (for lack of a better phrase) and risk not getting the place again once he's 3. I don't want him to have to leave at all - he loves it too much. The only benefits i get are child benefit and working and child tax - though work&child with end once I've left work. Hard to say what I have income wise, obviously from next week I'm no longer earning but OH is but earnings vary week by week as he's self-employed

nannynick Tue 07-Nov-17 15:59:26

Funding would apply from the term following your son's third birthday, so I think you would be looking at September.
www.gov.uk/help-with-childcare-costs/free-childcare-and-education-for-2-to-4-year-olds

Talk to the nursery and your local authority Family Information Service (FIS).
You and your son can go to local toddler groups to meet other local children, FIS may have a list, also look on Mumsnet Local.

GiveMeStrengh Tue 07-Nov-17 16:08:19

I understand about the hours for 3 year olds but I'm not willing to pull my son out of nursery for a year - I will pay if I have to as I can afford it but I'm just worrying about if changing everything messes up his place so being able to keep everything same would be ideal. He has friends there so I'd feel cruel not letting him go. There are no local groups for me and him to go to except one that is beyond disgusting - the floor they play on doesn't even get cleaned nevermind the toys

badgerhead Tue 07-Nov-17 22:26:43

From what you are saying your son qualifies for the 2 year old funding. As far as I know once he qualifies he keeps that funding until the term after he turns 3. Then once 3 he would be entitled to 15 hours universal funding but only the extra 15 hours if you qualify under income etc.

WisestIsShe Tue 07-Nov-17 22:29:45

badger is correct. Once your ds has been approved for think 2 funding he keeps it until he gets the eef 3 year old funding. No change in circumstances (either unemployment or earning over the threshold) will affect it.

GiveMeStrengh Wed 08-Nov-17 22:23:12

Thank you badger wisest I spoke to the manager (if that's the right word?) at his nursery today at pick up, she said the same about it being for the year but she wasn't sure about whether it would hold up after leaving work and therefor not being in receipt of the benefits needed to be entitled and so gave me a number to ring to ask them who have confirmed it will be unaffected smile happy mummy and happy toddler

thepatchworkcat Wed 08-Nov-17 22:27:01

I pretty sure previous posters are right and that once they’ve given the 2 year funding they don’t then withdraw it if circumstances change. I’m sure we had a change in earnings but kept the funding. Check though of course!

thepatchworkcat Wed 08-Nov-17 22:27:38

Oh sorry just read that again, you have checked! Great! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now