Talk

Advanced search

Nanny with own child

(24 Posts)
Amz27 Sat 04-Nov-17 11:31:21

Hi Mums

So I'm a nanny with a 9 week old and I'm looking to go back to work once my baby is 6 month old! I would like to take him with me once I return to work but I'm not sure I will find a job. I want to know what is everyone's opinion on hiring a nanny with a baby?

I want to know would people be willing to pay a full wage for a nanny with her own child or if not what sort of discount would you expect?

I had a little bit of bad luck and got made redundant whilst I was pregnant so I haven't got a job to go back to. I would just like to get some advice on what I can expect.

Thanks

lovealatte Sat 04-Nov-17 11:37:03

To be honest I think I would be unsure - I would worry that your own child would take your attention from mine. I'm sure that wouldn't be the case but that would be my first thought. I

thethoughtfox Sat 04-Nov-17 13:17:11

There are previous threads on here about this. A significant discount is expected and lots of parents wouldn't employ you. However, some saw it as an asset when the children are old enough to play together.

PotteringAlong Sat 04-Nov-17 13:20:48

I would employ you but definitely not at full wage. If you were looking after 2 children and only one of them was mine, especially in my house (so wear and tear from a young child that wasn't mine etc) I'd be looking at paying 50% of the going rate.

(But I don't have a nanny so I might be off with that!)

TheOctagonHouse Sat 04-Nov-17 13:30:25

I think it depends. I would be concerned about what would happen if your child is ill, would activities be based around my children still and the additional wear and tear to my house.

Appuskidu Sat 04-Nov-17 13:35:15

I wouldn't employ you unless it was at a significant discount.

sparechange Sat 04-Nov-17 13:42:34

The norm where I live is to see it as a nanny share agreement, so the employing family gets the same discount as they would if they were sharing a nanny with another family

So it isn’t quite 50%, but it isn’t far off it, plus the employing family call the shots on timings for meals and naps, plus days out etc

There was a thread on our local forum a while ago where the nanny was bringing her toddler and wanted to start potty training, but the employing family didn’t want to risk accidents on their floors. The nanny was asked to hold off potty training, or find alternate childcare for the toddler until it was trained - so those are the sorts of compromises you will be expected to make

Glitterbaby17 Sat 04-Nov-17 13:44:42

It’s an interesting question - my little one is 5 months and one of my concerns about hiring a nanny rather than a childminder or nursery is that my daughter would be on her own. If you feel you can cope with two babies your best bet might be to find a family who also have a child of a similar age so they can be friends. I think you would have to offer a significant discount though because it would be closer to a childminding set up juggling multiple children’s needs. I’d also be concerned about both babies getting treated fairly and be concerned if both were upset my daughter would always come second.

RicStar Sat 04-Nov-17 13:52:02

I think it depends where you are and what hours you need to make a living. You are more likely to be offered the less popular roles before / after school etc or less pay as it is probably not most people who want a nanny's first choice of arrangement. I wanted a nanny for longish hours and that would be hard with a young baby. But I did consider it and might again for the right person / set-up.

Josieannathe2nd Sat 04-Nov-17 14:16:59

I’ve mostly had NAnnies with their own child. It’s been fine. Needed a cheap double pushchair and I keep and extra high chair in the garage. Sometimes it’s been harder as the children were only and didn’t always want to ply together so o prefer a nanny with just a baby or young toddler.

Amz27 Sat 04-Nov-17 14:37:30

Thanks everyone for your replies it's really helpful to get different opinions on this!

I'm happy to hear some of you would consider hiring a nanny wanted to bring her baby to work with her.
Regarding some issues I would always treat the children the same and I'm sure my child would probably come second a lot of the time. Also if my child is ill I would leave them at home with his father or with is grandmother as I wouldn't think it was fair to bring him anyway.
I would also go along with the routine of the family I was working for and my child would just have to fit in! I would do things that we wanted to do on the weekend.

Also regarding pay I definitely think it's fair to take a pay reduction but I'm not sure I would work for 50% as that wouldn't meet the minimum wage and the family would be calling all the shots so it's not really a nanny share where everything is 50/50.

Hanuman Sat 04-Nov-17 14:41:05

I would only consider it for a significant discount. Basically, it removes a lot of the point of a nanny for me.

I would be much more likely to consider it for after school/holiday care.

han1001 Sat 04-Nov-17 15:49:40

I used to nanny with my own child who was under 2 and was getting paid £10 per hour and had lots of job offers too. I left cause I found it hard looking after mine and the other people's kids.

Amz27 Sat 04-Nov-17 20:50:25

Glad to hear you got jobs han it gives me hope! smile

hiyasminitsme Sun 05-Nov-17 13:37:28

Consensus on here is usually a quarter to a third discount. Search NWOC to find old threads

hiyasminitsme Sun 05-Nov-17 13:37:38

Consensus on here is usually a quarter to a third discount. Search NWOC to find old threads

TheOctagonHouse Mon 06-Nov-17 16:54:55

Re the discount - it could not go below minimum wage

yasmin05 Tue 07-Nov-17 08:44:57

I think the bottom line here is whether you are able to provide full attention to the child as a nanny. It obviously would be a no, so you gotta convince me how you do it and a discount could be a great start.

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Tue 07-Nov-17 08:50:39

I think you'd need to try really hard to convince me you were different to a childminder (I get that nannies work in the client's home, but still...) if you expected me to pay more than a childminder's rate.

fucksakefay Tue 07-Nov-17 08:54:38

Before school and after school nanny might work as these are difficult roles to fills. However that might not pay you enough for what you need

MaverickSnoopy Tue 07-Nov-17 08:57:01

I would employ you but at a large discount. I'm fairly laid back but with the best will in the world your attention would be split which would bring you into childminder territory. Have you thought about becoming a childminder? The demand is so high in my area.....I'm actually considering it myself for this reason alone and I've never worked with children.

Ttbb Tue 07-Nov-17 08:59:34

No. The point of hiring a nanny would be that my children get undivided attention so I wouldn't consider it. I think your employer may have posted on here about this.

RavingRoo Tue 07-Nov-17 09:02:51

I personally wouldn’t employ you even at a 50 percent discount. The whole point of having a nanny is that your child has personalized one on one care (or one on two care for siblings). It’s just not possible to offer that kind of service when you will be looking after your child too. What happens if you got a 4 yo client? How would you balance the demands of a 6 month old vs a 4 yo? It’s just not tenable.

Can you become a registered childminder instead and open your house up to more than one other child?

diamondmoon Tue 07-Nov-17 09:03:22

I was given a nanny job when my dd was 6 months and bosses child was 6 months. My boss wanted her child to have company and somebody to grow up with.
She supplied food nappies high chair toys
I brought double buggy and left my travel cot in spare room.
It worked pretty well I was paid a bit less each day. I had my car so went out a lot.
Had to leave when it was time to start school as I wasn't in the same area.
When he was sick I would still look after him and occasionally would stay home if my dd sick. Often they had sickness at same time so ok to be together.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: