Talk

Advanced search

Daycare - near home or work?

(9 Posts)
jellylegs7 Tue 24-Oct-17 11:26:21

I am currently looking into my childcare and work options having recently relocated. We live quite remotely and everything is at least a 15 minute drive away.

I am looking for thoughts on if we go down the nursery option would it be better to choose somewhere closer to work or to home?

TIA!

Callamia Tue 24-Oct-17 11:31:21

My eldest came to nursery at my work, which has been great.

But, now that he's nearly school age, I don't know whether I want my youngest to be nearer home and school, or continue coming to work with me.

Work-based nursery has been great for: picking up when ill, not so early drop-off/late pick-up. Home-based just might be better for me for managing school (this is my problem though, not yours - but it might be a future consideration).

BackforGood Tue 24-Oct-17 11:49:09

Home without a doubt.
You don't want to be commuting with a baby or toddler. You don't want to go into work if you have a day off to drop them in / collect them.
Easier for someone else to collect / drop off.
You never know when you might need a while off (accident, illness) and you'll appreciate it being near home then.

Dairymilkmuncher Tue 24-Oct-17 11:54:08

Home!! They are tired after a day of nursery so the quicker you can get them home the better, grumpy kids and commutes aren't fun. Also sometimes when you're busy working and deali with daily mum life the only time you'll get to be by yourself and listen to music is in the gap between nursery drop off and stepping in the office. That's great for your own mental health

whinetime89 Tue 24-Oct-17 11:56:14

I live an hour from work and put my kids in near work. It means I get an extra 2 hrs with them on work days which I love.

jannier Tue 24-Oct-17 12:41:34

home - children get to know local children and make friends, you get to pick up local details like good schools and build a local network through their friends. (if you choose a cm you can be sorted for school life too) As others mentioned if your off you may still send them without the commute (you may think if I'm off I will keep at home anyway but sometimes its for things children can attend or if your really ill).
Work - your nearer if they need you (but will they be comfortable travelling a long journey vomiting and if your driving will you be able to care for them?)
It may be cheaper as less hours.
You get more time with them (but is it quality time of just physical time when they are getting stressed hungry and tiered?)

CountFosco Tue 24-Oct-17 12:53:16

Home. If you have it near work it absolves your OH for ever having to worry about childcare. If you have childcare near home you can share drop offs/pick ups (particularly when you have to pick up a poorly child). Plus local knowledge, friends from nursery moving on to school with them, etc eye as PPs have said.

Maryann1975 Fri 27-Oct-17 09:25:25

I’m a childminder and nearly always recommend childcare near your own home. For all the reasons above, but also, if you pick dc up at 5, they are generally tired. If they then fall asleep in the car and have even a 15 minute nap, it may well be hours before they are ready to go to sleep again, you will also be tired from work and have a toddler who is wide awake, meaning you loose your evening/preparation time and then have to deal with a tired toddler again in the morning.

feral Fri 27-Oct-17 09:27:59

Home.

I didn’t want my son stuck in the car for nearly 2 hours a day. Wanted it to be close by so someone else can pick him up if needed and on those days off/WFH that coincide with nursery day I wanted to be able to take him in.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: