Talk

Advanced search

Preschool

(5 Posts)
JustMuddlingOn Thu 21-Sep-17 16:27:08

Need some advice on what pre school is like for a 2 year old compared to say a nursery where 2 would still be a baby..?

DD will be 2 soon and so far hasn't been to any sort of childcare as me and dh have been abe to work around each other. Although this still works it would be much easier to work some childcare in to the mix and I think that dd could do with the social aspect. We would like to hold out to send her to preschool as its so much cheaper.
Although they will take her from after her 2nd birthday, do you think this is too young? How structured is preschool, are they still able to nap etc?
It would only be a couple of days a week but 2 still seems very small.
Any advice or information appreciated! Thanks.

Snap8TheCat Thu 21-Sep-17 21:52:33

What about a childminder? Seems to tick all your boxes!

Ellieboolou27 Thu 21-Sep-17 22:11:28

My dd who turned 2 at the start of September has just started pre school.

Like your dd she's not been in any formal childcare.
She goes 2 morning sessions a week and is the smallest and youngest, she screams for around 10 minutes after I've left, then settles and seems ok when I collect her.

2 is young and I'm in two minds if I should continue but will give it until the October half term.
My eldest is 5 and went to a childminder who was amazing, she ran her business with a similar nursery setting and dd loved it / thrived there.

I'd say try it and give it at least 4 weeks for settling in, I'm not sure if I will continue as dd is so little compared to others and feel it's quite imposing, she'll always be the eldest in the class when she eventually starts school.

QuackDuckQuack Thu 21-Sep-17 22:13:04

I think you need to visit the ones you are considering as they vary a lot, so we'd just be guessing.

SheepyFun Thu 21-Sep-17 22:26:40

Where DD went, 2-4 year olds were all together, though 2 yo's were deemed toddlers, and 3+ preschool. There was provision for those who wanted to nap after lunch. It was a daycare nursery, but they were very flexible about hours - it would be worth seeing what nurseries near you provide.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »