Talk

Advanced search

How much to charge for babysitting

(14 Posts)
WineIsMyMainVice Fri 08-Sep-17 09:14:54

Hi. I'd appreciate some help please. DH and I don't have any family support nearby so since having dc have not had many nights out together. A friend who's daughter lives in the next village is 17 has just passed her driving test and has a car. She is looking to earn some extra money so I've asked her to sit.
Dc are 5 and 3 and they will be in bed, (They never wake up!) So all she needs to do is come and watch my tv!
How much should I pay her? We live in the midlands if that's relevant.
Thanks in advance.

nannynick Fri 08-Sep-17 18:05:23

How much does she want? If you offered £6 an hour would she take that? Maybe £20 per evening and generally go out for 3-4 hours.

emmaluvseeyore Fri 08-Sep-17 18:08:48

I'm in the south east and get paid £8-10 per hour, but I'm 28 and have a DBS and first aid training.

Doglikeafox Fri 08-Sep-17 18:12:17

I think really you need to ask how much she wants. Babysitters set their own terms usually and at 17 she will have an idea of what she wants.
I charge £8 per hour in the north west, double after midnight but I am an Ofsted Registered childminder. I charged £5 when I was 17 and double after midnight

NapQueen Fri 08-Sep-17 18:14:24

At that age I charged £15 plus a takeaway for before midnight, and £20 if after midnight.

Yukbuck Fri 08-Sep-17 21:05:34

At that age I was getting around £20 a night and generally did 7-11 /12ish. They'd usually give me 30 if it went past midnight! I'd say prices have probably gone up but I only charge £8 an hour and I'm mid 20s (qualified childcarer!) Although most families round up for me now and are very generous.

Muddlingalongalone Fri 08-Sep-17 21:11:41

I pay £7 per hour to my dd's nursery keyworker (her suggestion which I thought was crazy cheap so always round up!)

TheBigPickle Fri 08-Sep-17 21:49:41

I think £6 or maybe £6.50 is ok. It's no trouble for her and she is still only 17. I'd round up and pay double over midnight.

My DDs get paid £10 an hour but they think they are ridiculously overpaid - they are in their 20's but aren't trained. They would be happy with £6 or £6.50 if the kids were asleep.

RefuseTheLies Fri 08-Sep-17 21:56:25

Our 18 y/o babysitter is working towards childcare qualifications and charges £5 p/h.

I was pretty horrified she was asking for so little money. Our cat sitter charges more! I mean, I love my cats but they are definitely not worth more than my child.

We pay at least the national living wage often a lot more depending on how drunk I am when we get home

BackforGood Fri 08-Sep-17 21:57:06

I'm in the West Midlands and my dc babysit.
They would say £20 for an evening as long as it didn't start at 5pm and end at 2am wink
Shorter sits, they would say £5 an hour (as still have to get themselves there and back)

BackforGood Fri 08-Sep-17 21:58:25

but I'm 28 and have a DBS and first aid training

Both my dds have DBS and First Aid training

QuackDuckQuack Fri 08-Sep-17 22:03:45

Our nursery workers babysit for £8 a hour, but I won't pay a qualified, first aid trained childcare professional less than our cleaner, so I pay £10 an hour. I pay our teenage babysitter £8 an hour, but that is probably above the going rate. She is awesome and babysits for various families - I want to be the one she'd choose first if it was a competition. I also don't really want to pay below the minimum wage and am not a fan of paying lower minimum wage to young workers.

Jemimapuddleduk Fri 08-Sep-17 22:04:51

I pay £10 an hour for a nursey nurse from ds's nursery.

WineIsMyMainVice Fri 08-Sep-17 22:30:17

Thanks everyone. Really appreciate your input.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »