Talk

Advanced search

Childminder charges

(17 Posts)
puzzledfrazzled Mon 04-Sep-17 20:17:26

I just want to check that other childminders do this and I'm not being taken for a mug here...
Is it standard to still be charged if:
My dc is off sick
The childminder is off sick
The childminder takes a day off
The childminder is taking a full holiday

My Dh and I think that if you're not providing the service, you shouldn't be charging. She made it clear that our arrangement is not employer/ employee. So she is a contractor then. Contractors in other industries don't get paid in this way.
The terms above are in her contract so we have to pay. But if this isn't standard practice, I might go else where...

DonkeyOaty Mon 04-Sep-17 20:20:21

Standard. Some do, some don't - which may be reflected in the hourly/session rate.

If you don't like it then take your business elsewhere, surely?

Snap8TheCat Mon 04-Sep-17 20:21:47

If you don't want to pay it then go else where... I don't see how it matters if it's standard or not?

ElizabethShaw Mon 04-Sep-17 20:23:41

Depends what is in your contract, surely?

I've always paid for my child being sick.
One childminder we did pay for our holidays, didn't for hers. She didn't charge for her sickness but we chose to pay anyway.
One childminder we paid half for her holidays.

puzzledfrazzled Mon 04-Sep-17 20:24:25

Because she is a good childminder but has a lot of days off. If other childminders do the same then I might as well stay with this one.

AnnieAnoniMouse Mon 04-Sep-17 20:33:52

It's not 'uncommon', but Childminders do it in different ways. I think though you just need to look at the overall cost, not how it's broken down.

Most will charge full price for days your DC is off sick as they can't fill that day. Totally reasonable.

I'm on the fence re their sick days, but I'd only accept it if there was a capped number of days.

Holidays, I'd expect the option of X weeks at a reduced rate & for them to have x weeks at a reduced rate. OR the overall cost to reflect this.

Work out how much it will cost you for a year, then compare that to other local CM's.

However, unless there's a massive difference in cost, it's the last thing I'd take into account when choosing who will be looking after my DC day in, day out.

Some might nit charge for their holidays, but their rates might be a little higher (thus covering their holidays).

ourkidmolly Mon 04-Sep-17 20:36:17

Most I know don't charge for their absence whether holidays or sickness. They charge for your absence though unless it coincides with theirs.

Willow2017 Mon 04-Sep-17 20:37:13

Her business, her terms its as simple as that.
If you like her and feel comfortable with her care then OK.
If you arent sure about her then go elsewhere. (But you will be due the notice period)

Every cm has their own ts & cs. You either agree or not.

Other 'contracters' will charge a whole lot more than a cm per hour which covers their sick pay and holidays. She isnt doing anything that other self employed people are not doing.

If you are comparing cm then average it out over the full year and see what it works out as and what you are getting for your fees. Some cm will charge extra for meals and activities but charge a lower hourly rate. Some just include all that in their hourly rate but charge more p/h. Its not just a case of Mrs X charges for holidays but Mrs Y doesnt.

Willow2017 Mon 04-Sep-17 20:38:18

Annie X posted!

AnnieAnoniMouse Mon 04-Sep-17 20:38:27

It would have been good if you'd mentioned that in your op.

A childminder that takes a lot of days off is as much use as a chocolate fireguard to most parents. Cost isn't the biggest issue.

IF I could be flexible in my own job & the CM was great but had an ongoing health issue I'd happily work around them, but not if I couldn't be flexible or if she wasn't upfront about her ongoing health issues.

AnnieAnoniMouse Mon 04-Sep-17 20:39:56

Willow Great minds 😊😂

BackforGood Mon 04-Sep-17 20:42:33

They are self employed, so can choose their terms and conditions. I agree with others you need to look at the cost across the whole year, so some CMer will not charge for their holidays but will charge a higher hourly rate. Or charge a lower hourly rate but then might charge separately to provide something other provide for free.

IME,
My dc is off sick - yes (they are still available and can't get another child into that space)
The childminder is off sick - no, although, IME, over 9years with different minders, CMers are very, very rarely off sick.
The childminder takes a day off - never come across that
The childminder is taking a full holiday - this is different for different people, and ties in with the hourly rate / other charges.

BackforGood Mon 04-Sep-17 20:43:53

A childminder that takes a lot of days off is as much use as a chocolate fireguard to most parents. Cost isn't the biggest issue

This ^ without a doubt. What you need, if you are using childcare, is for that childcare to be reliable.

fuzzyfozzy Mon 04-Sep-17 21:01:55

I charge if the child is off sick or on holiday, you pay for your place.
I don't charge if I'm off sick or take a holiday, as you might have to pay another childminder to cover me.
These are fairly standard around here but it differs around the country.
Has your childminder limited her holidays on the contract?

Ellieboolou27 Mon 04-Sep-17 21:08:11

My old childminder had 2 weeks off at Christmas, in the 3 years she had my dd she was never sick, if my dd was sick she'd still charge.

1lov3comps Mon 04-Sep-17 21:10:31

We've always based it by asking if they are providing the service e.g. If our child is sick, CM is available so should be paid, if CM is sick them she's not available so not paid etc. We usually agree half pay or something for long holidays so that neither party is hugely out of pocket. Saying that, we ditched that whole practise with current CM and agreed a set monthly amount regardless of what happens in the month. Been going on a year and we're both happy. Easy for both sides to budget and no awkward conversations if something unusual happens that's not covered in contract (like last month where most of the area lost water for 4 days so CM couldn't take children)

Justnowthisone Mon 04-Sep-17 21:35:02

Mine doesn't charge for any of these nor for our own holidays.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »