Talk

Advanced search

What kind of childcare would I need?

(14 Posts)
ujerneyson Fri 01-Sep-17 10:26:00

I'm looking at applying for a job which would mean that I wouldn't get home until about 6.30 / 7 3 days a week. I've 2 secondary school children who make their own way home and get back at about 5 and I also have an 8 year old who finishes school at either 3.45 or 4.30. There is an after school club but it finishes at 5.30 so wouldn't be much use anymore.

If I do get this job I'll need someone to pick the littlest up by car, drop him at an activity once a week and to be home until I get back. I don't think that it really needs to be a nanny, I think I would ideally be happy with a mothers help who could do the pick up, heat up some dinner that i prepare, make sure that the big ones get off their phones and do some homework and perhaps supervise the younger one with homework if he has any. A nanny seems a bit over the top if I have 2 older kids and I know that none of them need that level of input. I'm thinking someone might also be able to do a bit of ironing at the same time as the kids really don't need 100% full on supervision. Realistic?

babybigapple Fri 01-Sep-17 10:28:35

Au pair?

Dumdedumdum Fri 01-Sep-17 10:28:42

You could chain them in the cellar after too?
I was with you till the ironing came in. Is that when you do the ironing, when dealing with homework (and 8 year old homework will usually need a lot of parental input) as well as potentially stroppy teenagers and making food.

RicStar Fri 01-Sep-17 10:30:19

I think you are right that you don't need a full on nanny. A childminder is one option but 8 year old won't be able to do their activity (most likely) a responsible student / mothers help is another - how like you are to find someone for around 12 hours per week term time only(?) probably depends on luck / where you are.

welshweasel Fri 01-Sep-17 10:33:05

An au pair would be a brilliant option if you have the room. Otherwise I'd try advertising locally and on childcare.co.uk but it's a difficult time slot to fill as most people will have their own families to sort out!

Alanna1 Fri 01-Sep-17 10:33:08

I think ironing is a bit much.
Au pair is a good idea if you have the space.
You could also advertise for an after school nanny. One of the staff at the after school club may be interested.
You could see if there was another mum or two who could help you out with the 8 year old as a reciprocal favour or for payment
There might be another local family with an au pair who wants extra money and doesnt work one or two days, leaving you with only one or two extra days to find.

ujerneyson Fri 01-Sep-17 10:45:30

I'm trying desperately not to go down the aupair route but i agree that it might be the best option. We do have space and I've had aupair's successfully in the past but I can't really face having someone living in again although maybe I need to get over that.

feeelingbad Fri 01-Sep-17 10:46:10

An au pair would probably be your best option if you have the space.

Or maybe advertise for a registered/ex childminder that would be able to do pickup and come to your home? (Someone who isn't currently running a business from home but has the qualifications and necessary checks etc?)

Wouldn't start asking them to do house work though. It just sounds like you are trying to squeeze as much as you can out of them because the kids are older. Most parents wouldn't be trying to iron during meal times and while helping with homework?

ujerneyson Fri 01-Sep-17 10:49:19

dumdum actually yes, it does tend to be when I do ironing, which is minimal only (maybe half an hour a week at most) Luckily my teens aren't particularly stroppy and my 8 year old doesn't have a lot of homework or need much input plus I wouldn't ask someone to do more than heat some pasta and stick some plates in the dishwasher so no, I don't think it's particularly unreasonable.

ujerneyson Fri 01-Sep-17 10:51:30

Anyway, ironing is really not a priority, can definitely be dropped it's more about finding the right kind of person for what I meed

Lovelilies Fri 01-Sep-17 13:06:06

Could the older kids not keep an eye on the younger one? Pick them up (in a taxi?) from after school club and heat up the food?

ujerneyson Fri 01-Sep-17 13:23:52

That's another option worth thinking about. That's why it's hard because I do leave the 3 of them together ad hoc but wouldn't want to do it all the time. Hence why a "proper" nanny seems a bit overkill. I've a feeling that I might have to get over my feelings about having having someone living in because an aupair is probably the best option given I do have the space.

Dumdedumdum Fri 01-Sep-17 13:53:23

I wouldn't want someone living with me 7 days a week if I only needed the cover three days a week.
Oldest must be at least second year so could they be relied on to bring youngest home? And make a dinner, cold perhaps?
You are used to handling things a certain way but that doesn't mean ironing and cooking a meal for three and doing homework is easy to take on when you aren't the parent.

ujerneyson Fri 01-Sep-17 14:00:40

That's true. Eldest is 15 so def not a baby and is responsible

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »