Talk

Advanced search

Help! Need temporary childcare

(14 Posts)
Falcon1 Mon 03-Jul-17 12:21:19

I'm hoping someone can give me good ideas about how to get temporary childcare.

We're moving in August and I'm having most of the month off. However, the last week of August and all of September is going to be really busy workwise. Yet, my oldest daughter starts reception and not full time until the 3rd week of September. My youngest will be starting nursery, but only mornings. I think I need a nanny who is happy to do part-time hours and only for a few weeks. I've posted an add on Gumtree and Childcare.co.uk but i've had zero interest!

I'm starting to panic. Can anyone advise? Thank you!

Falcon1 Mon 03-Jul-17 12:23:23

Forgot to say, as we're moving and they are both starting new environments (nursery and school) I really don't want them to have to go to a childminder's as I think it will be too much change in too short a space of time. I'll be working from home and doing all drop offs and pick up, so really I'm just after someone who will entertain them in the afternoons.

PippaFawcett Mon 03-Jul-17 12:24:26

Can you post on local FB pages/get in touch with preschools where you are moving to? Our pre-school staff often do summer care and are DBS checked. You might be able to find a nursery to take them on a temporary contract. Or as a final resort, a nanny agency could help. I presume you can't get a relative to move in for that period?

PippaFawcett Mon 03-Jul-17 12:25:10

A local teenager might be able to do that then, could you try your local college and ask if someone could recommend a local childcare student who could come to your house?

2014newme Mon 03-Jul-17 12:27:16

Hire a short term or emergency nanny via an agency

Falcon1 Mon 03-Jul-17 12:42:49

Pippa, local FB pages is a great idea. Will do that. Also like the college idea. I think the job would suit someone just looking for some experience, given that I'm going to be around. I just want someone reliable and fun who the kids enjoy spending time with. Not bothered about qualifications etc.

2014 - any idea how much a temp nanny from an agency would cost? Can't imagine it's cheap...

TheClacksAreDown Mon 03-Jul-17 12:52:21

When I've had an emergency nanny via an agency it was

10 per hour grossed up so perhaps 14
Vat on above
Agency fee

Fortunately dh's employer at the time would pay for a couple of days emergency nanny per year so we didn't pay ourselves.

Falcon1 Mon 03-Jul-17 12:55:35

Thanks TheClacksAreDown - that's actually less than I feared.

TheBadgersMadeMeDoIt Mon 03-Jul-17 13:00:12

Is there a college/university near you that runs childcare courses? Sounds like you could offer a student some useful work experience...?

Falcon1 Mon 03-Jul-17 13:35:59

Thanks people - have posted an add with our local university. Fingers crossed that yields some interest.

lokijet Mon 03-Jul-17 13:42:54

have you checked out holiday clubs - while these are designed for school aged children some based at private schools take younger children - or ask your childs nursery if you can book some extra hours

insancerre Sun 09-Jul-17 06:26:23

Ask the nursery if your youngest can do extra hours and if your eldest can attend until she starts school

Falcon1 Sun 09-Jul-17 08:38:24

Thanks for replying. Nursery isn't an option unfortunately as it's only a term -time morning only one. I looked at the one day care nursery near me but the thought of leaving my 2 year old there every day broke my heart. Have gone for a pre school instead. Will make everything more logistically challenging though!

Devilishpyjamas Sun 09-Jul-17 08:41:24

It's worth putting a notice up on some boards in the university (esp around places like the psychology dept) I found some people that way (although obviously the students have cleared off now)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »