Talk

Advanced search

Childminder issue - wwyd?

(22 Posts)
MarvinKMooney Thu 29-Jun-17 08:09:13

We have a childminder that picks up our DCs from school a few times a week.

She's very kind and her heart is definitely in the right place but there has been a couple of issues recently which makes me unsure of our arrangement.

We have an arrangement where she gives the kids their dinner. When I originally arranged for her to take the kids, she told me all about the homecooked meals made from scratch. Now I'm not entirely precious (my kids are rather partial several fish fingers) but I've been a bit disappointed. The kids have come home saying they've just had plain pasta with cheese on top, or that there hasn't been enough food so my eldest in particular is starving.

A couple of weeks ago I turned up to collect to be told that the Ofsted inspector had arrived and our CM had forgotten all about it. In her panic she had forgotten to feed the kids entirely. My 6yo ds was beside himself!

There are several other examples of being somewhat disorganised (eg in terms of activities which affect the preschoolers more and don't really affect us) which I won't list here, but the CM has laughed these off as examples of her being 'laid back'.

I don't know know what to do. I'm paying nearly £300 a month for this. Wwyd?

Snap8TheCat Thu 29-Jun-17 19:03:54

It is disappointing when you have different expectations and views on food provided, could you send food? Would that put your mind at rest?

The whole OFSTED inspection day I would completely disregard, it's not ideal but it really is a stressful experience and even the best of us can make a mistake when under pressure.

The disorganisation is a tough one. Some parents prefer the laid back approach and some don't. I am very organised and definitely gel with parents of a similar mindset.

What does her recent OFSTED report say? Have you spoken to her about any of the issues?

insancerre Thu 29-Jun-17 19:06:55

Childminders get notice of inspections
No way would she had forgotten that
Unless it's complaint driven in which case they do turn up unannounced
She is required to make her teport available to parents

MarvinKMooney Thu 29-Jun-17 19:09:51

She said that the inspector told her they had phoned, and the appointment had been agreed. How on earth my CM forgot I don't know! She said the house was in chaos but that the inspector was 'fine' with that.

Snap8TheCat Thu 29-Jun-17 19:11:20

But what does the actual report say? Not what your cm says.

PotteringAlong Thu 29-Jun-17 19:12:23

Ask her for the copy of the report.

MarvinKMooney Thu 29-Jun-17 19:13:00

Sorry - pressed send too soon. This is her first inspection. I will definitely mention the food issues - the other aspects don't apply to us so much anymore as we're pickups only.

MarvinKMooney Thu 29-Jun-17 19:13:41

Sorry I cross posted again! The latest report isn't available yet.

Snap8TheCat Thu 29-Jun-17 19:14:33

It doesn't matter that it's her first inspection. What does the bloody report say?

Snap8TheCat Thu 29-Jun-17 19:15:00

If she was inspected a few weeks ago, yes it will be.

Augustbabyyeah Thu 29-Jun-17 19:15:04

I'd find someone else, she's clearly unreliable.

PotteringAlong Thu 29-Jun-17 19:15:30

How long ago was the inspection day?

BackforGood Thu 29-Jun-17 19:21:10

I would have a conversation about the food.
If you are expecting them to have been fully fed a proper meal, then that is what they should be getting. If she can't do that, then she should stop charging you for it and you will know that you are needing to feed them when you get in. This 'expecting them fed but then they are not fed' is no use to you at all.

MarvinKMooney Thu 29-Jun-17 19:28:03

The inspection was 11 days ago and I've checked again and there's nothing online yet.

Backforgood you're right. I'm expecting them to be fed and it's not enough (or nothing!). I'm scrabbling around for an instant meal at 6.45 in the evening. I need to say something.

jannier Sun 02-Jul-17 22:09:59

The report will not be available yet, it has to be confirmed by a supervisor then sent to the cm who has a few days to agree it before it is published. This can take 3 to 4 weeks.

You can ask her how it went and what recommendations were made....every setting has a recommendation even if outstanding some are ridiculous and irrelevant some are more important.

Ofsted do not say they are coming on a certain day but will confirm your working and what hours then say they will come in the next 2 weeks. Its very stressful so she may well have been thrown into a panic.......Did your child not say I'm hungry?

Its very common for school age children and some younger to need feeding again if for example tea was a 4.30 you wouldn't expect them to go through to breakfast. This is why I don't do an evening meal but just an after school snack....talk to her about what she provides and the timings. Ask for a menu so you know what s being offered many children will be picky so it may be that your child didn't like one sauce or topping offered so only ate [pasta and cheese. You wont know if you don't ask.

MarvinKMooney Tue 11-Jul-17 07:29:54

Thanks for your comments, jannier. Things have moved on somewhat as it turns out it was an unannounced 'compliance' visit due to a complaint. I found the report last night - it was published a few days' ago. No mention of this from the cm, so I have a few decisions / comments to make now. Thanks again.

jannier Tue 11-Jul-17 12:35:47

Glad you found her report. I guess you have to decide on things based on what the complaint was if it was upheld and what was found as well as your overall satisfaction. But I guess it does explain why on this occasion your child wasn't fed I can imagine the panic and anxiety opening a door to find you have a compliance visit causes even if you haven't done anything wrong . Hope you sort it out.

insancerre Tue 11-Jul-17 12:46:11

Was the complaint upheld?
What was the outcome of the report?

Snap8TheCat Tue 11-Jul-17 12:47:18

The OP is far too vague for anyone else to really give any proper advice.

LittleMissCrappy Tue 11-Jul-17 12:56:17

Would it be possible that it was the local council inspecting and not Ofsted? I subscribe to an inspection process from my local council, they come once a year to check that everything is ok but it's not a full ofsted inspection.

Also, regarding the food, it's a question of speaking to her about it. Arrange a meeting, ask her a few questions about the runnIng of the day, and raise that you have been a bit disappointed with the food and give her some examples.

I have, for example, given children plain pasta with a bit of olive oil, and small bits of bacon, broccoli and peas. One child took all the bacon, peas and broccoli out and only ate only the pasta. Then told her mum that she had plain pasta.... Just an example of miscommunication occasionally happening if the middle person is a child!

LittleMissCrappy Tue 11-Jul-17 12:57:06

Sorry I missed the last few posts!

MarvinKMooney Tue 11-Jul-17 16:41:25

Sorry, snap. I can tell you're irritated, but I've been 'vague' because there is a chance the situation is identifiable. The complaint is upheld and there is a lot to think about, which I don't really want to explain here. I should have thought about that before I posted to begin with.
Thanks everyone.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »